-
Senior Member
registered user
Making a different distro boot like knoppix
I'm going to take a crack at turning out yoper live CD. This distro uses i686 optimized rpms and apt-rpm. It also has a redhat style init.
So I'm going to be posting a whole lot of questions in this thread over the next few weeks. 
Anyway, to wet my appetite-
I want all those handy knoppix packages for hardware detection, alsa, persistent home, installers, xsession, internet config gui script's, etc. Pretty much all the innovative live CD tech from knoppix will need to get converted. Are most of these things merely scripts available as .deb packages? It would be nice if all I had to do is run some perl one-liners to change instances of KNOPPIX to YOPER and knoppix to yoper, and /etc/rc#.d to /etc/rc.d/rc#.d, and then go back through with a lot of tinkering, and patch the yoper kernel......
For my own future sanity, I also plan to use isolinux and squashfs so that maintaining this beast will be relatively simple.
Any input in this endeavor will be most welcome. I'm sure I'll have more specific stuff to ask later. For now, I've got to get my remastering box situated and wait for the cable guy.
-
Re: Making a different distro boot like knoppix

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
I'm going to take a crack at turning out yoper live CD. This distro uses i686 optimized rpms and apt-rpm. It also has a redhat style init.
Any input in this endeavor will be most welcome.
I don't know yoper, but I 've tried similar thing with peanut-linux.Other had done -a while ago-with other than debian
- adios livecd_redhatbased-(the very first using squashfs)
- mdk livecd-mandrakebased-see berlios.de
- berrylinux-redhatbased-knoppix-modified
and I am sure I ignore a lot others, but no willing to look after !!!
We wait for yours ! That's fun anyhow.
-
Re: Making a different distro boot like knoppix

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
I'm going to take a crack at turning out yoper live CD. This distro uses i686 optimized rpms and apt-rpm. .
ok I just dl and tried yoper .
no cdrecord,I just try to get it from an old_cd_mdk9.1_cdrecord-devel...
no midnightcommander to play with,(oh where is peter-kommander,dear norton !)strugling with passwd..
launching synaptic but need ftp....
well well ,my old pal knoppix-3.2 upgraded with personal 2.6.6
by far allows me to do whatever I want,and much easier than any other stuff with just good looking
Except for fun ,I doubt your yoper tuned livecd would beat knoppix (almost any version ! )
anyway you need ddcxinfo-knoppix,mkxf86config,hwdetect,hwsetup
those are knoppix_goodies
and KNOPPIX ROCKS by far
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yoper's default install is minimal because the distro is focused on speed. It's easy enough to install all the nice apps you want with synaptic, and this way you get to avoid the bloat of installers such as fedora and mandrake. And naturally, a live CD must include as much as possible so that it is very useable. So the Yoper live CD I'm working on will have things like K3b, gftp, firefox, gimp, openoffice, xine, already installed.
You can see my live CD work that's knoppix-based here- Http://overclockix.octeams.com
The last Overclockix release is a little out of date now (2 months), but often I was able to stay right at the forefront and produce a live CD with more features than knoppix, newer software versions, and even some extra drivers. I think that's why the Yoper developers recruited me into their team.
I appreciate the help identifying all the scripts/packages from knoppix I'll need to try and convert for Yoper.
-

Originally Posted by
arkaine23
Yoper's default install is minimal because the distro is focused on speed. I think that's why the Yoper developers recruited me into their team.
I appreciate the help identifying all the scripts/packages from knoppix I'll need to try and convert for Yoper.
get Nakada's berry linux and pick out the directory
/opt/berry/ after booting it
many goodies are there too
Similar Threads
-
By iD:0t in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-15-2005, 04:55 PM
-
By sunnyjpop in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-25-2004, 01:20 AM
-
By sunnyjpop in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 07:55 PM
-
By silian87 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:46 AM
-
By dbojan in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Rare Cromemco Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$225.00

Vintage Rare California Computer Systems Boards for Altair IMSAI S-100 Systems
$295.00

MITS 88 SIOB Serial-TT, An Single Serial I/O Port S-100Board For the Altair 8800
$189.95

MITS ALTAIR 680b Turnkey Computer
$2550.00

SSM IO-4 S100 I/O Interface Board 2-Serial 2-Parallel Altair IMSAI Untested
$119.99

MITS Altair 8800 4K RAM Board
$675.00

Vintage Octagon 256K Static RAM (32 x HM6264LP-12) Board S-100 Altair IMSAI
$150.00

S-100 backplane motherboard bare PCB 9 slot (for Altair/IMSAI)
$34.99

CP/M 86 1.1R 8086 Highmonitor 8 Inch Floppy Diskette 80s IMSAI Altair
$29.99

ALTAIR Bitcoin Mining Solutions PDU IEC SERIES 100-250V 30A/24A Power Distribute
$99.00