-
I went ahead with QTParted anyway and deleted the partitions, reformatting as ext3.
Installed Knoppix, which took a long time, and there were lots of hangs. The verbose text reported a large number of "Input/Output Errors" as it did this, but the install finally finished (more than I can say for either Mandrake or Redhat!). I rebooted to find Lilo (disappointed, as I have more faith in GRUB) and on Linux boot, a huge number of I/O errors
Example:
hda2: bad access: block=64, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:02 (hda), sector 64
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev-03:02, iso_blknum_16, block=32
and finally:
FAT: unable to read boot sector
umount: devfs: not mounted
pivot_root: No such file or directory
/sbin/init: 418: cannot open dev/console: No such file
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
Here's where the boot stops dead, and I am tempted to call in the police and report attempted murder. Poor init!
Very depressing. This is the third or fourth Linux distribution that has failed to install on this machine. Any suggestions?
This is a popular machine, and quite new: Toshiba Satellite 1405-s151, running Windows XP
Similar Threads
-
By Killswitch in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-09-2005, 01:51 PM
-
By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
-
By pakux in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 03:09 PM
-
By \/\/inblowz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-06-2004, 06:36 PM
-
By cannedmushrooms in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-16-2003, 05:22 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Atari 410 Program Recorder Cassette Tape Drive for Atari 400/800 Computers
$150.00

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

Atari 1050 Dual Density Floppy Disk Drive Brand New Never USED
$499.95

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

Vintage Atari SF354 Floppy Disk Drive & Power Supply FOR PARTS OR REPAIR AS IS
$120.00