-
Booting
I have finally burned the iso cd, and now do not know how to boot from it. What settings do I have to change to get it to boot? I have xp pro and a 98 computer.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Main thing is that you want to open your BIOS and make sure that your CD drive is in the boot order before any HDs. You access BIOS by rebooting and pushing one of the Fn keys. If you see the splash screen for the installed OS, you waited too long, reboot and go quicker with the finger. Which Fn key you use depends on the BIOS installed. Once in bios, look for the boot order. Depending on your intentions, and the capabilities of your BIOS, you might have, e.g.: floppy -> USB -> PXE (booting from network over ethernet) -> CD1 -> CD2 -> HD1 -> HD2. Once you set it up, save the config, insert the CD and reboot. Should come up. Again, some BIOSes cannot handle CD as a boot device.
jd
-
thanks for the help, but how do I get back to windows... can I simply reboot and remove the cd and it will come back up, and when I want it to boot linux I simply put in the disk?
Thanks
-
Senior Member
registered user
When You want to switch to windows just go to LOGOFF. Then the screen will tell You if You want to RESTART OR SHUT DOWN. Clik ENTER.
On both cases the cd will come off the CD-ROM automatically!!!
What a beautifull OS is Linux!!!
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
xdentan
thanks for the help, but how do I get back to windows... can I simply reboot and remove the cd and it will come back up, and when I want it to boot linux I simply put in the disk?
Thanks
Absolutely! Nothing is changed by booting with the CD. Without the CD, your system is exactly as it was before. Nothing will have changed unless you take deliberate measures to change it, and there are safeguards in place to keep that from happening accidentally. Installing Windows is like getting married - expensive, big commitment, and if you don't like it the divorce is long and painful. Running Knoppix CD is like going out with a ... well, you get the idea,, except that it's free and legal, and you can't catch a disease. There is no commitment, no installation, the session lasts only as long as you have the computer on.
jd
Similar Threads
-
By mortfrog in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-15-2004, 06:14 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened
$195.00

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless
$25.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$14.86

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

~NIB~ Netgear GS728TPP-300NAS V3 24 PORT GIGABIT POE MNGD W. 4 SFP PORTS
$349.95