Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Revolving Door Graphical Login

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    149

    Revolving Door Graphical Login

    Hi;

    I powered down my computer in the appropiate fashion ( "halt" from root ).

    When I booted back up a message came onto the screen saying that hda1 had been mounted 34 times without a check......a check ran. ( incrementing percentages as a "\" revolved around).

    Once the graphical login prompt came up I tried logging into icewm, but I would come right back to the graphical login prompt.

    The same has been true for every other window manager.

    For some reason if I try KDE it takes me back to a command prompt.

    Any ideas how this problem happened and how I can prevent it?

    Luckily, I haven't settled into knoppix yet so reinstalling wouldn't cause a hardship.

    Steve

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    You'll have to fix your harddisk.

    Go to a console eg. CTRL-ALT-F2, and log in from there. Look at the bootmessages (CTRL-ALT-F) for clues on howto fix the harddisk.

    I had some similar problems with XFS, because it didn't autorepair - properbly just a change in /etc/fstab.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Can you login (graphically) as root? If so, try resetting the permissions on /dev/null to read/write.

    If you can't login as root, use the Knoppix CD in knoppix 2 mode and run fsck on the root partition of your hard drive.

    Both of these have worked for me when I had similar problems (both documented here), but I'm completely unsure of what actually causes the problem in the first place.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    21
    I am now having that same problem where I type in the name and password and it puts me back to the login screen...
    does it have something to do with Xserver?
    because when I get to the shell after loging in it won't let me start xserver or something like that...

    if anyone could help please let me know by e-mail...
    [email protected] or
    [email protected]

Similar Threads

  1. Creating a Graphical LDAP login
    By bgsneeze in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
  2. get in by the back door
    By shayl6 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-30-2004, 11:39 PM
  3. no graphical login..
    By koma in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 08:04 AM
  4. cant get into graphical
    By mystical_kakarot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:50 PM
  5. Password protection and forced graphical login
    By jmrizz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$44.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$14.86



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99



TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears picture

TP-Link Omada SG3428 24-Port Gigabit L2+ Managed Switch 4x SFP w/ Ears

$99.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00