-
Attaching midi keyboard/synthesizer
I have a Yamaha SY77 synthesizer which I would like to access via Midi on Knoppix but I can't figure out how to get Linux/Knoppix to see it as a device nor sort out which program(s) can read/transmit midi data to/from the SY77.
It is connected to the computer via a RS232/Midi adapter on the computer's COM2: port.
I've tried a couple of program on the Knoppix distribution but they don't "see" the SY77.
Rosegarden's Midi setup has the device set to /dev/sequencer and there seems to be no way to change it - even if I knew what to change it to.
I've also downloaded a couple of sequencing programs but they don't see the keyboard either. One of them complains that it can't find /dev/snd/seq.
Can someone help me get this working please?
What I was hoping to do eventually was to convert a C program I wrote for my Amiga which can aid in the editing of voices. If I can find a program which actually "sees" the SY77 I can probably then figure out how to convert my own program.
Best Wishes
Pete
-
Senior Member
registered user
did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?
nothing helpful?
-

Originally Posted by
user unknown
did you google for 'yamaha SY77 linux'?
nothing helpful?
Yeah, and I tried all sorts of other variations too. In the end I broke down and bought a $25 (Canadian) cabler to hook the synth to my SoundBlaster card's midi/gameport.
I still can't get the midi to work on Knoppix though.
I've booted up dyne:bolic and have been able to get it to work with some of the programs on that release, including SoundTracker.
Best Wishes
Pete
Similar Threads
-
By rsq1963 in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 03-23-2006, 04:13 PM
-
By jjmac in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-16-2005, 11:34 AM
-
By francisgirard in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 02-01-2005, 07:53 PM
-
By garyng in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-26-2004, 02:19 AM
-
By skryche in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1625.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$49.99

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$488.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99