Not enough information. Tell us what you install, in what partition and send your lilo.conf, then we can help you....I hope.
I installed another system on a lin partition (Mandrake) which has been removed. Anyhow, now the lilo gui shows up and when I click on it instead of the Knoppix loading I get this:
initrd-tools: 0.1.67
mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
umount: devfs: not mounted
mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
umount: devfs: not mounted
chroot: /sbin/init: no such file or directory
Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!
All of this, of course, after I tried to reinstll lilo to the hda4 root partition.
Can anyone help steer me the right direction?
I can access the partition with the knoppix 3.4 disk, the partition and all info is there, I just can't access it.
tia
pgk
Not enough information. Tell us what you install, in what partition and send your lilo.conf, then we can help you....I hope.
You can click on LILO??? How? I want to know.Originally Posted by pgk3734
Yes, the lilo gui comes up with selection of kernels and windowsxp and I
can select default 2.4 or any and I get the above instead of booting up.
I must add this happened after I tried some instructions (cheats, etc).
I edited lilo.conf to reflect that hda4 is where the boot info is to be and
was able to save this in the knoppix partition (hda4). I did something wrong, I suspect. I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition.
tia
pgk
You cannot do this -----> "I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition." lilo.conf is the configuration file for lilo and belongs on your linux partition. lilo.conf is obviously not right so let's fix it. Here's what you do:Originally Posted by pgk3734
It seems you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda4.
Boot Knoppix
mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
xedit /mnt/hda4/etc/lilo.conf
Paste your entire lilo.conf file here in the forum. Also explain how your drive is partitioned and what OS is on which partition. Without that information I think no one can really help.

Datto S3P6000 4x 3.5" 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-1541 @2.10GHz 48GB DDR4
$128.96
Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$95.20
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU
$197.76
HPE PROLIANT BL460C GEN 9 813198-B21 2.5"x2 Server Blade SEE NOTES
$21.08
Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08