Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Help! Can't access Knoppix.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    Help! Can't access Knoppix.

    I installed another system on a lin partition (Mandrake) which has been removed. Anyhow, now the lilo gui shows up and when I click on it instead of the Knoppix loading I get this:
    initrd-tools: 0.1.67
    mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
    umount: devfs: not mounted
    mount: fs type devfs not supported by Kernel
    umount: devfs: not mounted
    chroot: /sbin/init: no such file or directory
    Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

    All of this, of course, after I tried to reinstll lilo to the hda4 root partition.

    Can anyone help steer me the right direction?
    I can access the partition with the knoppix 3.4 disk, the partition and all info is there, I just can't access it.

    tia
    pgk

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Not enough information. Tell us what you install, in what partition and send your lilo.conf, then we can help you....I hope.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: Help! Can't access Knoppix.

    Quote Originally Posted by pgk3734
    I installed another system on a lin partition (Mandrake) which has been removed. Anyhow, now the lilo gui shows up and when I click on it instead of the Knoppix loading I get this:
    You can click on LILO??? How? I want to know.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    23

    how?

    Yes, the lilo gui comes up with selection of kernels and windowsxp and I
    can select default 2.4 or any and I get the above instead of booting up.
    I must add this happened after I tried some instructions (cheats, etc).
    I edited lilo.conf to reflect that hda4 is where the boot info is to be and
    was able to save this in the knoppix partition (hda4). I did something wrong, I suspect. I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition.
    tia
    pgk

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: how?

    Quote Originally Posted by pgk3734
    Yes, the lilo gui comes up with selection of kernels and windowsxp and I
    can select default 2.4 or any and I get the above instead of booting up.
    I must add this happened after I tried some instructions (cheats, etc).
    I edited lilo.conf to reflect that hda4 is where the boot info is to be and
    was able to save this in the knoppix partition (hda4). I did something wrong, I suspect. I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition.
    tia
    pgk
    You cannot do this -----> "I am having a hard time to get the lilo.conf copied to the winxp partition." lilo.conf is the configuration file for lilo and belongs on your linux partition. lilo.conf is obviously not right so let's fix it. Here's what you do:

    It seems you installed Knoppix to /dev/hda4.
    Boot Knoppix
    mount /dev/hda4 /mnt/hda4
    xedit /mnt/hda4/etc/lilo.conf

    Paste your entire lilo.conf file here in the forum. Also explain how your drive is partitioned and what OS is on which partition. Without that information I think no one can really help.

Similar Threads

  1. Proxy access with knoppix 3.9 LiveCD
    By davidev in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-09-2005, 12:28 PM
  2. Not sure if Knoppix Related. Can't access a SD Card
    By MannyLNJ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2005, 03:53 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-15-2004, 12:51 PM
  4. Can't Access CDROM's - goodbye Knoppix????
    By rowck001 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-23-2004, 09:50 PM
  5. Blueyonder Broadband - won't access net through Knoppix
    By stevethayne in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72