Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Need help with D-Link DWL-122 wireless lan adapter

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8

    Need help with D-Link DWL-122 wireless lan adapter

    I'm having difficulty (as others are) setting up a wireless network adapter under KNOPPIX. I am getting close: I can get Airsnort to recognize the adapter but only if I log in as root.

    I'm using a D-Link DWL-122 wireless adapter. I've not tried rebuilding the kernel nor downloading new drivers: KNOPPIX V3.4 apparently has the Prism2 driver already available

    My sequence of events is as follows:

    First I boot up w/o the adapter in place. I log in as root by using su
    Next based upon some postings from others I remove the Prism2 module

    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe prism2_usb -r

    I install the DWL-122 Wireless Network adapter into the usb port and still as root I re-install the Prism2 module and run the following commands:

    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
    message=lnxreq_ifstate
    ifstate=enable
    resultcode=success
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=MySSID authtype=opensystem
    message=lnxreq_autojoin
    ssid='MySSID'
    authtype=opensystem
    resultcode=success


    (where MySSID) is the identification I've given my home network)

    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ifconfig wlan0
    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:54:8A:F1
    BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:500 (500.0 b) TX bytes:500 (500.0 b)
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ifconfig wlan0 up
    root@ttyp0[knoppix]# ifconfig
    lo Link encap:Local Loopback
    inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
    UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
    RX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:10 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
    RX bytes:500 (500.0 b) TX bytes:500 (500.0 b)

    wlan0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0D:88:54:8A:F1
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)


    The system thinks I'm all set, at least as the root operator. I go into AirSnort from the console as root operator and it comes up, finds the card, and starts logging packets.

    If I log out of root and am running as knoppix and enter AirSnort the the system will not go into the monitor mode: apparently it does not recognize Wlan0 anymore.

    Anyone have any hints/ideas where I go from here?
    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    157
    I don't know much about airsnort, having never used it myself, but reading the man page it seems to me that maybe you can only run it as root anyway.

    One thing I noticed from all the ifconfig dumps you included is that you haven't assigned an IP address to your card.

    You need to do either
    Code:
    pump -i wlan0
    to get an IP address from a DHCP server, or
    Code:
    ifconfig wlan0 xx.xx.xx.xx
    to manually assign the IP address (where xx.xx.xx.xx is usally something like 192.168.1.something).

    I think that there are gui programs that let you assign these, but I always just use the command line.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    Thanks, I'll try both methods

    I had tried "pumping" previously and did not have any luck, but I'll try again. (Amazing how quickly you lose track of what you tried unless you write it down.) It seems like going into iconfig and setting the address manually will be my best chance.

    Also, I am pretty sure you're correct re a GUI to set these. I tried going into the KNOPPIX wlan setup menu, and when I run this it asks if I want to obtain a DHCP address. Last time I tried it responded that it failed, but this may be because of the root issue.

    I'll let you know how I make out.

    Mark

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8
    I know this is not the tech correct place for it, but I just tried the July 2004 release of Kanotix Bughunter Live CD. (The distribution description said it included ndswrapper)

    Anyway I booted the system up with the wireless lan usb adapter installed. I ran the same script I used with Knoppix thru the console w root privliges:

    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable
    wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=SpeedStream authtype=opensystem
    ifup wlan0
    pump -i wlan0

    then I went and ran Wlanconfig from the menu, entered the SSID name etc
    finally I ran Network Card Configuration from the menu and told it to use DHCP

    Success!!

    Now I can hook up to the net, so things are much better now
    The only problem is that I have to leave the router set up un-encrypted. Ive tried entering key numbers, turning keys on, entering encryption etc via iwconfig: I keep getting back a message that seems to indicate that the routine failed (mode not supported)

    So I have two questions:
    1) Why does this work w Kanotix and not Knoppix? It is my understanding the Kanotix is a modified/remastered Knoppix. Is it the inclusion of ndswrapper?
    2)What an I doing wrong re encryption?

    Mark

Similar Threads

  1. D-link DWL-G520 Wireless Drivers?
    By Camon_Draconis in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:26 AM
  2. Knoppix and D-link PCMCIA Wireless Adapter
    By tankd0g in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. D-Link DWL-122 usb wireless
    By g3guy in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2004, 03:46 PM
  4. Knoppix with D-Link wireless card
    By nolisaurus in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 07:51 AM
  5. D-Link DWL-650+ Wireless Adapter
    By Tad in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

LENOVO THINKSTATION P920 XEON GOLD 6128 3.4GHz 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$1550.00