Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: event sounds not working

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    event sounds not working

    Hello....I have replaced my KNOPPIX 3.3 installations with 3.4. I like it alot and works well. However, I noticed that the EVENT SOUNDS do not work. The sound itself is OK, for instance I can play cd's and all.

    In CONTROL CENTER under SOUND there is a button to test sound, and when I click it, it does work and the KNOPPIX START UP SOUND plays.

    Its just the NOTIFICATIONS do not work. Not that its a big deal, but I kind of liked them. KNOPPIX ver. 3.3 the sound events worked fine. Does anyone have the same problem?

    bob58

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Bob58,

    Funny thing, even with v3.3 I couldn't get my "notifications" to work - but then again, I was using ALSA. With the new v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, I, again, have ALSA - my notifications remain to be heard - the last time I heard any KDE sounds was when I booted off the CD to install Knoppix to the hard drive ( same was true with v3.3 )

    For me, my guess is that I need something setup in my OSS emulation settings, or something, since ALSA is running on my sound now - not sure if you said, or not, are you using ALSA as well? If so, we are BOTH in the same boat, maybe... If you are just running off the "standard" and "default", OSS sound, and Arts - ( aaaaaa, that was when all my sounds were working, notifications, window iconization sounds, etc... those were the days... but then again, without ALSA, I couldn't get some of my "die-hard" sound editting software to work on OSS, and they would only work with ALSA - hence my running ALSA )

    Not sure if I helped, or not, here,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    You might find the answer here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12054

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Hey Markus,

    I tried the "artsplay", it didn't work, but I tried the "aplay", which never worked for me, but did this time - but, I can only change the player in root -=- when I try to change the player in my "user" KControl - it is shaded out - and it is stuck with "alsaplayer [options[" - which hasn't worked....

    Where is the user settings for the "player" stored, so that I can "manually" change the player in the file, or how can I get the "player" unshaded so that I can change it within KControl? ( I already tried to "enable" the sound system, thinking that the "sound system" being disabled was causing the shading, and thus, unable to change the player, but that didn't work )

    Thanks in advance dude, this is getting somewhere, and, I might add, more than I was at just a few moments ago, and all, thanks to you for the suggestion,
    Ms. Cuddles

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Where is the user settings for the "player" stored, so that I can "manually" change the player in the file, or how can I get the "player" unshaded so that I can change it within KControl?
    Go into the .kde directory under your user directory, then /share/config and find the file .knotifyrc. You can either change the external player or turn external player off.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Sorry to say,

    But in that specified directory/folder, I not only don't have any [dot] files, but, I also don't have the file you specified, any clues???

    Thanks for the quick response, none-the-less,
    Ms. Cuddles

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    382
    Yeah...sorry Cuddles, it's not .knotifyrc...it's just knotifyrc.

    I just got a bit wild with my dots there. :P

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    It's dotless if that's a word.

    markus@mrk-fujibox:~$ cat .kde/share/config/knotifyrc
    [Misc]
    External player=aplay
    LastConfiguredApp=Konsole
    Use external player=true
    Volume=100

    [StartProgress]
    Arts Init=false
    KNotify Init=true
    Use Arts=false

    EDIT: My post seems to have been pointless which at least is a word.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Y E S

    You can have it both ways !

    That worked, I've now got system notifications and ALSA working at the same time, I never thought it to be possible -=- There IS a GOD !

    Thanks, millions, for the assistance
    Ms. Cuddles

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I got my system notifications to work by setting
    Arts Init=true
    Knotify Init=true
    Use Arts=true

    but then I guess I'm using aRTs. I don't understand why these are defaulted to false and I don't understand why you can't change them from Kcontrol. Used to be able to select 'start arts automatically' from Kcontrol, now it's just 'enable sound system' but it doesn't set these necessary settings true. Go figure.
    I really don't understand this aRts/ALSA thing; exactly what each one does & why or how they are different. There seems to be a general opinion that alsa is 'better' but I don't know why. I wish somebody would explain this in detail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. event sounds only as root
    By Xwrapper3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 11:26 AM
  2. access to event logs?
    By wokka in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2005, 07:43 PM
  3. System sounds but no internet sounds.
    By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:52 AM
  4. toggle event sounds on/off?
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 07:33 PM
  5. View windows event logs
    By tearinghairout in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-15-2003, 03:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC picture

ULTIMATE ARCH LINUX BOOTABLE USB/DVD INSTALLER 64-BIT - CHOOSE BUILD - PC/MAC

$4.49



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$599.00



Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max picture

Ubiquiti UniFi Gateway Max Router - 5x 2.5GbE - IDS/IPS 2.3 Gbps - UXG-Max

$180.00



Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs picture

Turbolinux Server and Workstation, Red Hat, Maximum Linux LOT 13 CDs

$40.00



PARDUS LINUX OS | LATEST ISO | DVD, USB | AMD64 | 64-BIT | GNOME | XFCE | SERVER picture

PARDUS LINUX OS | LATEST ISO | DVD, USB | AMD64 | 64-BIT | GNOME | XFCE | SERVER

$4.49



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 16-Core Perpetual License | Factory Sealed

$724.63



Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2025 Standard 32 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License Package

$299.00