-
Help getting knoppix-mib-ppc to boot on my Mac
Greetings
I have downloaded and burned a CDR of
knoppix-MiB-PPC-alpha-2e.iso.
I'm trying to get it to boot on a 2002 Quicksilver Mac G4 933
with 1.25 GB RAM, a 60 GB ATA drive with OS X 10.3.4, and an 80
GB ATA hard drive with Yellow Dog Linux 3.0. (The machine will
boot either OS X or YDL using yaboot.)
I insert the CD, restart, and hold down the "C" key. I get to the
knoppix boot screen and do
knoppix lang=us
and hit return. I get a message saying that the kernel has
loaded, then something about a ramdisk, then it very quickly
switches to a screen with the debian logo (with the little debian
curlicue thing).
At this point the machine hangs - it makes no further progress. I
have waited as long as 10 minutes, and it's still hung at the
screen with the debian logo.
I've also tried starting it up by doing
failsafe
at the boot prompt. If I do that, I get the same message about
the kernel loading and a ramdisk, but then I get an error
message:
cd: 2,failsafe: unknown or corrupt filesystem
and the machine is hung again at this point.
I've checked both the hard drives with DiskWarrior and I've
checked the OS X boot drive with fsck, and they found no
problems.
I've also gotten the same behavior on a different Mac: a
Quicksilver G4 733 with a single 30 GB internal hard drive and
only Mac OS 9 (no linux).
Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I might fix this and get
knoppix-Mib running on my Mac?
It would be greatly appreciated.
-FBP
Similar Threads
-
By doesnotcompute in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By J.A.X in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-30-2004, 02:52 AM
-
By ebone in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:26 AM
-
By mswarbrick in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 6
Last Post: 04-18-2003, 12:30 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99