Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is there any way to create a log of all boot-up messages?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35

    Is there any way to create a log of all boot-up messages?

    When I boot my system, the messages being output from the booting process go past too quickly for really latching onto. It there any way to set up an automatic logging of the messages being printed to screen into a text file for later review? This would be a BIG help for trouble-shooting the installation.

    Thanks in advance, for any help with this.

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    All logs are in /var/log/. Have a look at kern.log and syslog.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35

    (Newbie difficulties, here.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    All logs are in /var/log/. Have a look at kern.log and syslog.
    Thank you for your quick response! I'll check those out as soon as I can.

    However, unfortunately, I've developed a bit of an obstacle between me & normal operations,... I ran "kxconfig", and immediately (very next boot) found that I don't get the desktop any more when I boot Linux. Both kernels from the Debian SID bitmap menu, same problem. I suspect that the changes I made in "kxconfig" created a settings conflict.

    I changed the video chipset to be the chipset that's actually on the motherboard. (SIS 5597/5598 VGA, for the SIS 5598 chipset.) I changed the monitor type from the generic to become specific as per what I have connected. (ACER 34T). Next time I use my little experimental (learning) installation, I'll try running kxconfig again, and changing things back to the generic - and, see if that fixes it.

    In the meantime, the only editor I know of in Linux is the emacs editor. And, I have a bit of a problem with that, too. I can get it to start up & load a file for inspection, and change the contents of the file - even, get it to tell me that it saved the file, but I can't get emacs to do a normal exit back to the command prompt. Use of Ctrl key and/or Alt key in combination with letters doesn't seem to do the trick. If there's a function key that'll do it, I haven't found it yet. Using the mouse for accessing the menu items across the top of the screen isn't an option, because nothing happens when I move (or click) the mouse. I've tried using emacs twice now, and both times I ended up turning off power to the machine as my only remaining means of exiting the program. (That I could come up with, anyway.)

    To proceed with inspecting &/or editing, sans access to the GUI's utilities & programs, I need 2 questions answered:

    1) Is there any other text editor available to me from the command prompt?

    and,

    2) How does one exit emacs?

    Thanks for your help!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    First have a look in /etc/X11 if you have a backup of XF86Config-4 which could be named XF86Config-4~. Just look at the dates, if you find if do:
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4_TEST
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4~ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4


    Another solution would be to boot Knoppix CD with the right screen etc.. cheatcodes and copy over the file to your hd-install with:
    mv /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4_TEST
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    ?? means your hd installs device/partition.

    To exit emacs: Ctrl-x Ctrl-c http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/emacs/emacs_cheat.html
    Another editor would be vi but it's not that much easier, you could also use mc or do apt-get install nano

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    A very easy to learn editor is the embedded editor in 'mc' - the midnight-commander (F4 to edit a file). It might be run from commandline with 'mcedit'.

    bootmessages might be easily viewed with dmesg:
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    shows them pagewise, with possibility to scroll back.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    First have a look in /etc/X11 if you have a backup of XF86Config-4 which could be named XF86Config-4~. Just look at the dates, if you find if do:
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /etc/X11/XF86Config-4_TEST
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4~ /etc/X11/XF86Config-4


    Another solution would be to boot Knoppix CD with the right screen etc.. cheatcodes and copy over the file to your hd-install with:
    mv /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4_TEST
    mv /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 /mnt/hd??/etc/X11/XF86Config-4

    ?? means your hd installs device/partition.

    To exit emacs: Ctrl-x Ctrl-c http://rgrjr.dyndns.org/emacs/emacs_cheat.html
    Another editor would be vi but it's not that much easier, you could also use mc or do apt-get install nano
    Thank you for your response! It's possible I've entirely lost the original config file, because I tried resetting the video stuff back to generic - and, if it doesn't make multiple backup copies as per date, then the previous backup copy has been overwritten. Regardless, I'll be attempting what you're advising, during my next session!

    Thanks!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    U.P., MI, USA
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by user unknown
    A very easy to learn editor is the embedded editor in 'mc' - the midnight-commander (F4 to edit a file). It might be run from commandline with 'mcedit'.

    bootmessages might be easily viewed with dmesg:
    Code:
    dmesg | less
    shows them pagewise, with possibility to scroll back.
    Thanks for the advice! I've saved this info, and will try what you recommend during my next session at the machine!

    Scruffy
    http://scruffyeagle.com

Similar Threads

  1. Logging boot messages
    By jodef in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-05-2005, 03:44 AM
  2. Help Knoppix boot messages
    By Avenger in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-06-2005, 02:30 PM
  3. Custom F2/F3 boot messages
    By yoda54 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 09:16 PM
  4. /var/log/messages nearly empty, missing INIT script messages
    By brian dorling in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-01-2004, 07:01 PM
  5. Boot Messages
    By schnarff in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2003, 08:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517 picture

IBM Storwize V5000E V5030E SAN Storage Control Enclosure Server w/ Dual 02PX517

$1249.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99