I think what scruffyeagle is asking is, "is there a Table of Contents" for the documentation???

Funny, I was wondering this too, since a lot of times, you know what you want to do, just don't know what command to do it with... Most, if not all, the forms of manuals and information that you can get from the system is "backwords" from this thinking - you have to know the command, and the "man" pages tell you what that command does... Sometimes, you want to find a "command" that does this, but don't know the command...

Kind of like a "index" or "Table of Contents", would provide a small description of what a "command" does, and having the "what does it do", will lead you to what command you want to view the pages on.

Not knowing the command you want to do this with, usually means running through the /dev or /etc folders - looking for a "something" that can be found using a man something with, until, you hit upon the actual command you "think" does what you "want", hopefully, someday....

Not sure on this, but, I am guessing, this is the actual issue here,
Ms. Cuddles
( correct me if I am wrong )