Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Uncompressed Knoppix for fast and easy customizing

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159

    Uncompressed Knoppix for fast and easy customizing

    The most time, power and space consuming process in remastering (frequently) Knoppix seems to be creating the compressed filesystem. But for many specialized applications, we do not really need the compression. A basic Knoppix with KDE would fit on a uncompressed CD. Any way to do this (easily)? I would *love* to have a Knoppix where all the files are "normal" files on the CD (so that I can change them easily, let's say using multisession). Of course, I still want the hardware detection from Knoppix. How can this be achieved?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    199
    [guessing]
    run a standard remaster, and omit the compression portion? just a guess...
    [/guess]

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    One downside to this is that if knoppix is uncompressed it will be signicantly slower. It may seem odd to say that compression=faster, but a big bottleneck in the live cd model is the time it takes to read data from your cdrom. Compression actually helps aleviate this problem. Ever try Demo Linux? It was nice but one gripe I had about it was that it was much slower than knoppix. I think part of this was due to the fact that it is not compressed.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    One downside to this is that if knoppix is uncompressed it will be signicantly slower. It may seem odd to say that compression=faster, but a big bottleneck in the live cd model is the time it takes to read data from your cdrom. Compression actually helps aleviate this problem. Ever try Demo Linux? It was nice but one gripe I had about it was that it was much slower than knoppix. I think part of this was due to the fact that it is not compressed.
    Yup, if you have a slow CPU, then uncompressed might be better. But for any moderately fast CPU, compressed should do better.

    Uncompressed might be useful though for "experimental" masters where you're tweaking things heavily before recompression. Also, if you burn Knoppix to a DVD instead of a CD, then the higher transfer rate of DVDs will increase the minimum speed of a CPU where compression will help instead of hinder.

    Speaking of compression - Would it be possible to use bzip instead of gzip for cloop? That would allow for more files to be fit onto a CD and also speed up access times.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    What will be really cool is when we get blue laser dvd writers that use the forthcoming Mt. Rainier standard of writing. This will you to have a 20-30 GB disk that is seen by Linux as just another drive. Mt. Rainier will allow native OS writing to the disk. This should allow us to add anything we want to the CD without remastering. It will allow for a truly portable OS.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    7

    Boot Knoppix in UDF

    As the subject says I've recently been learning/working for UDF packet writing CD-RW and/or DVD-RAM for Knoppix.
    I really wish to boot Knoppix in UDF CD-RW so that I can write, say persistent home, save config etc etc.

    Cloop allows read only then above boot in UDF can't be done on compressed file system.

    The latest news says Sony started to sell Blue Ray disk with a digital broadcast tuner included with the cost of about $4000!
    I'm afraid we must wait for another few years till it gets more cheaper.

    Are there anyone interrested in such project - "Boot Knoppix in UDF"?
    Here is some interesting URLs:
    http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/...-cdrw-hint.txt
    http://lists.suse.com/archives/packe...-Jan/0087.html
    http://lists.suse.com/archives/packe...-Jan/0090.html

    I'm still in puzzling status

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    As I understand it, Mt. Rainier became available as of the 2.4.19 kernel. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any CD writers that support it yet. I have read that some current ones will be able to use the Mt Rainier standard but will require a firmware upgrade that isn't yet available. I suspect that these companies have been asked to wait by MS before they release this stuff. MS would not like it known that linux is way ahead of the curve on this cool technology. Anyway, once this goes into effect we won't need UDF.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    7
    Yes, I have found the patches for linux kernel here;
    http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...03.3/0362.html
    ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/
    I will try to read more carefully.

    In regard to Mt.Rainier, I did download demo version WriteCD-RW! from;
    http://www.softarch.com/index.html
    It didn' work due to unsupported drive error for Mt.Rainier even though the drive's property says it supports.
    I just gave up

    I must learn more and more, thanks for the input!

Similar Threads

  1. How to make a knoppix DVD UNCOMPRESSED
    By zorxd in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
  2. TerminalServer Client with uncompressed KNOPPIX image
    By Levi37 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
  3. Customizing Knoppix
    By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 03:50 AM
  4. A really easy question! please reply fast...
    By mark1221 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
  5. Customizing Knoppix!
    By praveen in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card picture

AddOn IBM 42C1800 Comparable 10Gbs Dual Open SFP+ Port Network Interface Card

$383.99



IBM 8836-1MU Kp-bpv55 picture

IBM 8836-1MU Kp-bpv55

$995.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99