-
Senior Member
registered user
Uncompressed Knoppix for fast and easy customizing
The most time, power and space consuming process in remastering (frequently) Knoppix seems to be creating the compressed filesystem. But for many specialized applications, we do not really need the compression. A basic Knoppix with KDE would fit on a uncompressed CD. Any way to do this (easily)? I would *love* to have a Knoppix where all the files are "normal" files on the CD (so that I can change them easily, let's say using multisession). Of course, I still want the hardware detection from Knoppix. How can this be achieved?
-
Senior Member
registered user
[guessing]
run a standard remaster, and omit the compression portion? just a guess...
[/guess]
-
Senior Member
registered user
One downside to this is that if knoppix is uncompressed it will be signicantly slower. It may seem odd to say that compression=faster, but a big bottleneck in the live cd model is the time it takes to read data from your cdrom. Compression actually helps aleviate this problem. Ever try Demo Linux? It was nice but one gripe I had about it was that it was much slower than knoppix. I think part of this was due to the fact that it is not compressed.
-
Junior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
One downside to this is that if knoppix is uncompressed it will be signicantly slower. It may seem odd to say that compression=faster, but a big bottleneck in the live cd model is the time it takes to read data from your cdrom. Compression actually helps aleviate this problem. Ever try Demo Linux? It was nice but one gripe I had about it was that it was much slower than knoppix. I think part of this was due to the fact that it is not compressed.
Yup, if you have a slow CPU, then uncompressed might be better. But for any moderately fast CPU, compressed should do better.
Uncompressed might be useful though for "experimental" masters where you're tweaking things heavily before recompression. Also, if you burn Knoppix to a DVD instead of a CD, then the higher transfer rate of DVDs will increase the minimum speed of a CPU where compression will help instead of hinder.
Speaking of compression - Would it be possible to use bzip instead of gzip for cloop? That would allow for more files to be fit onto a CD and also speed up access times.
-
Senior Member
registered user
What will be really cool is when we get blue laser dvd writers that use the forthcoming Mt. Rainier standard of writing. This will you to have a 20-30 GB disk that is seen by Linux as just another drive. Mt. Rainier will allow native OS writing to the disk. This should allow us to add anything we want to the CD without remastering. It will allow for a truly portable OS.
-
Boot Knoppix in UDF
As the subject says I've recently been learning/working for UDF packet writing CD-RW and/or DVD-RAM for Knoppix.
I really wish to boot Knoppix in UDF CD-RW so that I can write, say persistent home, save config etc etc.
Cloop allows read only then above boot in UDF can't be done on compressed file system.
The latest news says Sony started to sell Blue Ray disk with a digital broadcast tuner included with the cost of about $4000!
I'm afraid we must wait for another few years till it gets more cheaper.
Are there anyone interrested in such project - "Boot Knoppix in UDF"?
Here is some interesting URLs:
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/...-cdrw-hint.txt
http://lists.suse.com/archives/packe...-Jan/0087.html
http://lists.suse.com/archives/packe...-Jan/0090.html
I'm still in puzzling status
-
Senior Member
registered user
As I understand it, Mt. Rainier became available as of the 2.4.19 kernel. Unfortunately, I don't think there are any CD writers that support it yet. I have read that some current ones will be able to use the Mt Rainier standard but will require a firmware upgrade that isn't yet available. I suspect that these companies have been asked to wait by MS before they release this stuff. MS would not like it known that linux is way ahead of the curve on this cool technology. Anyway, once this goes into effect we won't need UDF.
-
Yes, I have found the patches for linux kernel here;
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/lin...03.3/0362.html
ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/axboe/
I will try to read more carefully.
In regard to Mt.Rainier, I did download demo version WriteCD-RW! from;
http://www.softarch.com/index.html
It didn' work due to unsupported drive error for Mt.Rainier even though the drive's property says it supports.
I just gave up 
I must learn more and more, thanks for the input!
Similar Threads
-
By zorxd in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 38
Last Post: 01-17-2005, 11:18 PM
-
By Levi37 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-25-2004, 01:16 PM
-
By walterw in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 03:50 AM
-
By mark1221 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-13-2003, 07:25 PM
-
By praveen in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 10:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On
$100.00

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ
$329.00

NOB AlfaData AlfaScan Plus Hand Scanner for Commodore Amiga 256 Grayscale RARE
$149.99

Amiga 1000 Computer w/ Monitor Keyboard Mouse Disc Drive Sidecar Expansion Discs
$895.00

Commodore Amiga Color CRT Monitor Model 1084S-P Stereo - Parts Or Repair
$100.00

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000
$249.00

COMMODORE AMIGA 500 Motherboard Rev 5 NTSC ,No IC'S , Sold As Is, Untested
$88.00

HighFlyer Amiga 4000 Tower & Bus Extender, Expansion Systems A4000T Kit
$888.50

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500
$50.00

Pi1541 Zero with Epyx Fastload Hat, Case & 16gb SD for Commodore 64 and 128
$79.99