FWIW, on my mepis box /etc/init.d/networking is linked to /etc/rc0.d/S35networking ... At S10 you may simply be starting it too early.
Well - the knoppix-autoconfig (k-a) is a big big script in /etc/init.d.
I used SuSe ca. 1992, redhat at 96, peanut-linux and halloween - now knoppix.
Every distro has it's own procedure of booting, and they evolve over time - so I guess what suse does nowadays is pretty much different from what they did 10 years ago.
A few weeks ago I had a bootup to console of 25 sec. (at 1.1 Ghz).
Then my harddrive headcrashed, and I started from scratch.
The k-a is used and useful if nearly nothing is known about your hardware, so a lot of searches and tests are done, which indeed consume much time. It handles bootoptions as well.
I removed brltty-stuff, harddrive-detection, multiple language-settings, pcmcia-stuff and lot's more which I understood and could say: "I don't need it".
But if don't know the scripting-language, and no computerlanguage at all, it will be very hard to tell for each detail, whether you need it or not.
Ok - I had a look at my backup, and would say:
You do it on your own risk!
Make a backup first!
remove these lines (ca. line 900)
but you could as well first boot with bootparameter 'nodhcp' - and if it speeds up your things, make an entry in '/etc/lilo.conf': 'append="nodhcp"' - syntax unproofed - and rerun lilo. Voila.Code:# Fat-Client-Version: DHCP Broadcast for IP address if checkbootparam "nodhcp"; then echo " ${BLUE}Skipping DHCP broadcast/network detection as requested on boot commandline.${NORMAL}" else NETDEVICES="$(awk -F: '/eth.:|tr.:/{print $1}' /proc/net/dev 2>/dev/null)" for DEVICE in $NETDEVICES do echo -n " ${GREEN}Network device ${MAGENTA}$DEVICE${GREEN} detected, DHCP broadcasting for IP.${NORMAL}" trap 2 3 11 pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 & trap "" 2 3 11 sleep 1 echo " ${BLUE}(Backgrounding)${NORMAL}" done fi
P.S.: In my opinion, this script should be improved by making it more modal.
It could contain lines like:
k-a-harddrives
k-a-pcmcia
k-a-keyboard
k-a-mouse
k-a-network
...
to make it better maintainable.
FWIW, on my mepis box /etc/init.d/networking is linked to /etc/rc0.d/S35networking ... At S10 you may simply be starting it too early.

Seagate Exos 7E8 4TB 3.5" SAS ST4000NM0025
$22.00
Seagate 14TB Exos X14 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s 256MB 3.5" Enterprise HDD ST14000NM0408
$354.99
Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$69.00
New Western Digital WD40EFPX 68C6CN0 4TB 3.5" SATA III Internal NAS Red Plus HDD
$137.59
Seagate ST6000NM0115 6TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$159.99
Lot of 2 Seagate Constellation ES.3 ST2000NM0023 2TB 7200RPM SAS 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD
$34.99
HGST HUS724040ALA640 4TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.5" Internal Desktop Drive 100% Health
$78.00
Hitachi / HGST Travelstar HTS541010B7E610 1TB 2.5" SATA III HDD
$29.99
HUS726060ALA640 HGST Ultrastar 6TB SATA 6Gbps 7.2K 3.5" Hard Drive OF21860
$129.99
Western Digital Internal Hard Drive WD3000JS-60PDB0 300GB 3.5-Inch SATA 7200 RPM
$59.99