-
Need help with Knoppix-installer
I've been battling with Knoppix-installer_0.3-14 that has got me tearing out my hair (what there is of it).
It's an older laptop. I've 80MB memory (the max it will hold). The HDD is empty and partitioned. cfdisk reports hda1 - bootable - Primary Linux - 3503.97MB, and hda5 - Logical Linux - swap - 822.53MB. Yes its a small HDD. When I did the partitioning cfdisk was unable to reread the data and requred a reboot. That confirmed the partioning I had set. Doing ls for /mnt/hda1 showed that there were no files present.
A reboot, (Knoppix 2) showed that knoppix (3.4) correctly identified all the hardware.
The computer is not connected to the web, so I downloaded the knx-installer_0.3-14.tar.gz to another computer (Windows) and copied the file to a floppy. Then by emulating the script from the web, I copied the tarball from the floppy to the computer running live Knoppix. I then successfully unpacked and ran the script.
The first stages of installation ran well, I answered the "who am I" questions and provided desired passwords. Then immediately after the summary page when I pressed "Y" I got an error message from mkfs. "Error: Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ext3: Usage of mkfs.ext3 [..." etc.
Another clue.
If I choose "Partition Harddrive" from the installation menu it attempts to load cfdisk but cfdisk gives the message "Partion Disk. - Opened disk read-only - you have no permission to write." Curiously cfdisk when opened from the command line gives no such message - thats how I partioned the drive in the first place.
Therefore, I think that somehow, my HDD is (or has become) a read only drive - at least as far as linux is concerned. Windows appears to be able to write to it with no trouble.
So. How do I make the HDD writable to linux? I've tried Google searching this one, but have had no success.
Any help you can provide will be appreciated.
Similar Threads
-
By dr_s99 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:23 PM
-
By Danielx11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By bfc in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99