-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
ValhallaSystems
Thanks for your reply, Cuddles
I've figured it out. The moral is never completely believe the error messages you see. It turns out that there was one box that I had not filled in. The one where the installer asks you which partition you want to install on. It gave me only one option, so "stupid me" thought that would be the default. Wrong. It was trying to format the drive, not the partition!!
Ouch, that one hurts - that is one problem with Linux, with devices, and device names - just to get used to all of the "different" ways of working from Windows to Linux, all of my desktop icons I renamed to /dev/[devicename] - so that I am constantly reminded of them...

Originally Posted by
ValhallaSystems
So now its working off the hard-drive. More or less.
Now to figure out how:
to get the mouse to work - so far its just the touchpad (which I hate).
No clue on this one, I have a PS/2 mouse, and only one...

Originally Posted by
ValhallaSystems
to get the sound card to work seemingly an obscure thing from Yamaha.
No clue on this one, I have a no-name AC97 VIA, but it was recognized, and with a little "tinkering", got it to work with ALSA...

Originally Posted by
ValhallaSystems
to get it to use a swap file since it appears that even with 80MB that is not enough and it is slow - even refusing to run some apps which are apparently too large!, and the only immediate option is to use a DOS partition, which I don't have. May be I have to re format hda5!
I have 512 MB RAM, and even setup a swap partition for another 512 MB - from what I hear, this being the best "working" - physical RAM and swap should add up to a 1 GB total memory... If you have 1 GB of physical RAM, no swap is needed, but, if you have, say, 1/2 GB, you should have 1/2 GB of swap, if you have 1/3 GB of RAM, then 2/3 GB should be made for a swap -=- from what I hear - the target "total" memory is around a GigaByte...
This I found a topic, that appears to suggest that the installer doesn't format the swap for you, and thus, when the system comes up, it "thinks" the swap is supposed to be where you said, but, since it isn't formatted, it doesn't use it....
Here is the link to the topic...
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...&view=previous
I would also check your /etc/fstab file to ensure that your system is pointing to the swap partition, as well...
I did a Search Knoppix.net for the word swap and found the above topic, here is the search results link as well - if the above link doesn't solve the issue, you might look at this link and see what else you can find...
http://www.google.com/search?q=swap%20site:knoppix.net

Originally Posted by
ValhallaSystems
This was suposed to be fun!
It is, you just aren't seeing just how much fun it really is... [sick humor]
Just wait... By the time you get this one working to your liking, thats when they release a new version... and you get to do it all over again... ( like they did with me ) Now that is fun...
Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles
Similar Threads
-
By dr_s99 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-10-2005, 10:23 PM
-
By Danielx11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM
-
By Jesse in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-22-2004, 12:21 AM
-
By bfc in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-08-2004, 12:09 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-24-2003, 11:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Genuine OEM Apple MagSafe 2 45W AC Adapter Charger for Macbook Air 2015 11" 13"
$14.24

OEM Apple Data Migration Toolkit for A1706 A1707 MacBook Pro PN 076-00236
$549.99

Genuine Apple Power Adapter Extension Cable 6FT White OEM MacBook MK122LL/A
$10.99

Genuine Apple OEM A2164 30W USB-C AC Power Adapter with USB-C Cable, Very Good
$21.05

OEM 45w T-Tip Power Adapter charger for Apple macbook air 2012-2017 A1436 A1466
$19.99

OEM Apple 45W A1436 Power Charger AC Adapter for MacBook Air MagSafe 2
$12.99

Apple 40W Dynamic Power Adapter 60W Max for iPhone/iPad/AirPods/MacBooks OEM
$17.99

OEM 45W Charger For Apple MacBook Air 11-inch 13-inch Early 2012 2013 2014 2015
$26.98

apple oem cube 5w charger
$6.99

Lot of 100 OEM Apple Magsafe 2 45W AC Adapter A1436 with Power Cable - Grade D
$339.99