Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Knoppix Boot Stalls

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24

    Knoppix Boot Stalls

    I downloaded an iso file and burned a CD with Knoppix 3.4. I booted on PC-1 with no problems. I was surfing the Internet via my router and cable modem in less than 5 minutes. It doesn't get any better than that!!!

    This morning I tried to boot the CD on PC-2. Everything appeared to be going OK, but then when the boot process got to a line that reads: "Scanning for Harddisk partitions and creating /etc/fstab...", the boot stalled and I had to power down.

    PC-1 has Win98, FAT32 on hard drive "C" and WinXP, FAT32 on hard drive "D". PC-2 has Win98, FAT32 on hard drive "C" and WinXP, NTFS on hard drive "D". Both computers are set up for dual boot using the WinXP bootloader.

    Any help in solving this problem will be appreciated.

    jimbo

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Kampen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    166
    Try to boot in failsave modus ("knoppix failsave").

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    8

    Re: Knoppix Boot Stalls

    try disabling acpi using "noacpi". hit F2 for all the options. maybe dma too. hope that helps.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    can't really help you except to say that's what happened to me tonight. tried to load knoppix on an older computer but after it got to something about XII the screen went black, the cdrom kept reading for maybe a minute or two then that was it. finally gave up and put it on my PIII 933 mhz computer and like you said--bingo up and running and on the net with my dsl modem and router. sure put windows to SHAME!

    so it must be something in the computers, the one that wouldn't work is a PII 400 mhz, and has less ram.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Donna R,

    As I said, in another post you had contributed to, cheatcodes will be your saviour...

    The black screen, especially when the last thing you see is something about X11 starting, is usually something that X11 is trying to setup your monitor / video card and it isn't getting it "just right" -=- either the refresh or resolution... What has always worked for me is two cheatcodes on the boot prompt, with a "sprinkling" of a third added to ensure nothing is "getting in the way"...

    try the following, for the default kernel in v3.4:

    boot: knoppix screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60 noscsi

    or for the experimental, v3.4 2.6.6 kernel:

    boot: linux26 screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60 noscsi

    This "might" get you by the black screen...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    24
    Well, I tried "noacpi' and "nodma'", but Knoppix boot from CD still stalled at fstab. But Knoppix booted all the way with "safemode". But it seems like a lot of hardware detect was bypassed. But the log in screens pass so fast that I don't have a clue as to what hardware doesn't get installed. There must be a log somewhere that gives the details. But where?

    I found some log files but many gave me a "no permission" message and most were not very helpful.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    jimbo

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    thanks for the info. I have learned how to press F2 and type in instructions, like in DOS. as knoppix works great on my better computer but I had to change the resolution from that tiny text! and I learned to save the config so that I don't have to change it the next time.

    I don't know how to type two commands, though. after typing one I press enter and knoppix loads.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo62
    Well, I tried "noacpi' and "nodma'", but Knoppix boot from CD still stalled at fstab. But Knoppix booted all the way with "safemode". But it seems like a lot of hardware detect was bypassed. But the log in screens pass so fast that I don't have a clue as to what hardware doesn't get installed. There must be a log somewhere that gives the details. But where?

    I found some log files but many gave me a "no permission" message and most were not very helpful.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    jimbo
    There is a 'nofstab' option as well, just in case Knoppix is having problems writing your partitions into /etc/fstab file. but probably it is having problems with detecting a filetype or something. Try booting failsafe then run cfdisk (from a terminal mode just type 'cfdisk'. Cfidisk should list all the partitions it can find. Do they look correct? If not, the problem is in not detecting the partitons correctly. If looks OK, the problem is probably in making up the fstab file.

    Donna R: to use more than one bootcode command just separate them with spaces eg:
    "knoppix lang=us vga=normal noapci"

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    4
    I got Knoppix to load on the older computer! (as I said, it loaded on the newer one which is 3 years old.) because of what Ms Cuddles wrote about the video card and monitor (below) I tried doing what I'd learned to set the screen resolution--

    when the first Knoppix screen comes up instead of pressing enter, you press F2 to put in cheat codes. where it says boot: I typed--
    knoppix screen=800x600
    then pressed enter. it continued to load. got the black screen at the same place as before but just for a few seconds. got grey screens and strange stuff but then it fully loaded.

    Donna

    >>The black screen, especially when the last thing you see is something about X11 starting, is usually something that X11 is trying to setup your monitor / video card and it isn't getting it "just right" -=- either the refresh or resolution... What has always worked for me is two cheatcodes on the boot prompt, with a "sprinkling" of a third added to ensure nothing is "getting in the way"...

    try the following, for the default kernel in v3.4:

    boot: knoppix screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60 noscsi

    or for the experimental, v3.4 2.6.6 kernel:

    boot: linux26 screen=1024x768 vrefresh=60 noscsi

    This "might" get you by the black screen...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Cool...

    Good going...

    Happy Knoppix'ing

    Ms. Cuddles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix either stalls or take ages to boot up completely
    By drdjnicholls in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 05:03 PM
  2. Bootup from CD rom Stalls ?
    By sham in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-16-2004, 01:42 PM
  3. Starting Knoppix live CD - stalls to blank screen
    By basa in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 01:00 PM
  4. Knoppix Boot Stalls at Penguin
    By mentalalien2002 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
  5. Boot now stalls at INIT, new hardware problem??
    By chrsjav in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory picture

MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory

$149.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G picture

Lot of 4 - Kingston 1GB PC2-5300F DDR2 667MHz ECC Server RAM KVR667D2S8F5/1G

$59.00



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz  (MIX BRAND) picture

Lot of 14 - 16GB DDR4 Memory PC4-3200 SODIMM Laptop RAM 3200MHz (MIX BRAND)

$900.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1SG 2RX4 32GB DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server Memory picture

Micron MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G6D1SG 2RX4 32GB DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server Memory

$199.95