Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: complete noob, issues

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    complete noob, issues

    first off, yes I'm a complete noob to linux etc... I'm not a noob to windows or computers in general.
    Here's my issue. I can boot and run knoppix off of the cd just fine, when I try to copy it to the hd some things happen. First off the partition is formatted in FAT32 and is 2.5GB. Everything is fine when i use the boot "cheat" tohd=/dev/hda2 is starts to copy, everything here is smooth. Next it always gets to %66 and then stops copying, the cd drive slows down and I get a tranfer rate of 7.xxx kbsec. I've tried this multiple times thinking I did something wrong and it always starts slowing at %66 and by %67 I get an error message about not enough memory.

    at first I wanted to load it into just the ram with the cheat toram and it also slows at %66. I have 768MB ram.

    My first reaction is to think I have an incomplete cd, but i'm able to boot into knoppix just fine from the CD.

    I'm lost and my googles and other searches aren't helping much. Any help for somebody looking to get away from microsoft for a change?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    bigbadgreen,

    Reading through your delema, my first thought was the partition size, and by the time I got done reading your complete post, I stand by my initial thought....

    From what I know, the tohd cheatcode is not copying the CD-ROM "image" to your hard drive, but, the "uncompressed" data that is stored on that CD, I may be wrong here though....

    My best guess, and this may be a proof on my theory, too -=- Can you increase that "Linux" partition, to say, 4 GB ? Then try the tohd again, and see if it ( 1 ) works completely, or, ( 2 ) gets further into the copy, say, farther than 66% that is...

    If my theory is correct, the CD has 700 MB of stored data on it, if, assuming a 2:1 compression ratio, that would be a 1.4 GB amount of data, uncompressed - it should fit on a 2.5 GB location, but, maybe some configs or "who knows" is being setup on the drive during the install, and thus, you don't get the copy to complete...

    Hoefully, this "test" will either prove me right, or, you can "offset" your partitions to gain the, say, extra 1.5 GB space from 2.5 to 4 GB - if it doesn't work, you can always drop the partition back to your original 2.5 GB...

    I am out of my league on this, and try to "grasp" straws to assist you, as I said earlier, I am not sure of this... ( and I have been proven wrong on things before ) -=- I am a mere learned Linux person, and many things I am but a "noob" at as well... From just running the CD, to even after I installed the whole enchilada onto my main system as its whole OS, I am still learning...

    Hope this helps,
    Ms. Cuddles

Similar Threads

  1. Complete noob trying to boot
    By Iane in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 09:01 PM
  2. DHCP help for a complete noob...
    By Deathwalker in forum Networking
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2004, 02:57 PM
  3. Is Grub complete?
    By kepler in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
  4. CAN'T COMPLETE HD INSTALL, SERIOUS ISSUES!!!
    By ANDREW03 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 06:10 PM
  5. Install will not complete.
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 07:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams picture

Yealink MP58 Cordless VoIP Conference Phone Bluetooth Handset Microsoft Teams

$105.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth picture

Cisco 8861 Gigabit IP Phone Phone 5-line business-class VoIP Wifi Bluetooth

$39.99



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW picture

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW

$399.99



Yealink SIP-T46U Black Unified Firmware Enhanced SIP Phone - VoIP phone used picture

Yealink SIP-T46U Black Unified Firmware Enhanced SIP Phone - VoIP phone used

$59.99



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99