Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?

    Just curious- anybody got it to work? I've tried repeatedly to format xfs using the knx-hdinstall but if I do the install fails anywhere from 35% to 85% finished. Install works fine w/ ext3.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    I'm only using xfs - except for booting

    I think that the installation problem is caused by bad CD-rom drives. I read on a maillist that there where problems with bad CD-rom drives in the 2.4.x

    Does the problem with the CD that locksup only occur on xfs-installations?

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Correct it only locks when I try to install on xfs. It's working great on ext3 though. I just wanted to try out xfs you know??? I haven't given up yet, got some other machines to build and whatnot.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25

    Buggy knx-installation on xfs - try init 1

    Try go into runlevel 1 for installation on xfs:

    I've realized that when the installation takes place the system interrupts.

    My Workflow:
    • Boot from CD
      CTRL-ALT-F1
      Code:
      init 1
      Wait till the system is down
      Code:
      knx-hdinstall


    Hope that's it - still suspect the too good CD driver though.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I am finding that it is fairly common for the install to hang when trying xfs. They (Klaus & others) are apparently working on this so for now I guess I wait.

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    25
    It hasn't locked up during installation since I went into runlevel 1. It's not optimal that you have to shift runlevel but if it works

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by abp
    It hasn't locked up during installation since I went into runlevel 1. It's not optimal that you have to shift runlevel but if it works
    I may have to give it a try next time I do an install. {I've already installed Linux to almost every machine I can get my hands on)
    I think I'm getting installers burnout.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Exerpt from the Knoppix mailing list.

    date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 12:25:18 -0500
    Subject: [debian-knoppix] Re: XFS and installing v3.2

    I also experienced some problems that I have read on the list
    regarding using xfs filesystem.

    (a) some comments about kernel panic when booting after a
    successful knx-hdinstall.. I'm pretty sure that is related to
    not including a initrd.gz in the boot loader. I'm using grub
    and not lilo, but I needed the "initrd /initrd.gz" in my
    grub.conf.

    (b) I tried many times the runlevel 1 to install on xfs filesystem..
    but that still didn't help me. I actually manually tried to install
    and
    got the same problems. (boot with knoppix, make xfs, mount, cp
    /KNOPPIX/)
    and still locked up. What did work was cp -a /KNOPPIX/* to a
    intermediate
    ext2 mount and then installing from there instead of CD-ROM.
    (not sure why.. I tried with and w/o dma)

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    2

    [debian-knoppix] Re: XFS and installing v3.2

    I'm glad to hear that this seems to be an xfs problem. I was afraid that I had a hardware or BIOS problem. By trial & error I was able to work around this problem and complete a HD install to an xfs partition. I did it by editing two lines of code in the knx-hdinstall script. Normally the command is `cp -a ...` and runs in the backround while the next line displays a progress bar. I changed it to `cp -av ...` and ran it in the foreground, and commented out the progress bar entirely.
    In stead of a progress bar, all of the files scroll on the display. I suspect that this slows down the copy and avoids some kind of timing problem.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    How long have you had this 3.2 on xfs install working? Any noticeable problems? I personally would much rather see what's going on kernel-wise than watch a progress bar. (I surmise it is really an optical aid for those too accustomed to the pretty blinky blinky lights that some other OS's like to use).

    I'll have to try this out. I have seen others in the mailing list talk about this same issue but never seen this soluition before. I have also seen a fair amount of problems using Reiser.

    Right on cmr.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Question After Successful HDD Install!
    By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:58 AM
  2. Anyone successful with Inspiron 9100?
    By holgerkrumm in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 09:18 AM
  3. Successful install
    By HaroldK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
  4. Successful md5sum check?
    By EdlinUser in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
  5. Successful install
    By ndrake in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive picture

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive

$59.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99