-
I'm sorry to say that I've been playing with this for only a week -- not long enough to say anything at all about xfs. But the solution, of editing the cp command, seems a sure-fix. I've done it several times now. It always fails at about the same place without making the change, and it always works, with the change.
I've got a spare PC to play with and I'm going to be working with it over the next several weeks. I'll keep you posted.
Other forums that I frequent, have nothing but good things to say about xfs. The only drawback is that it requires a patched kernel.
-
The way I did it (doesn't require a boot _then_ runlevel change, or modifying a script for those uncomfortable with that):
At start up,
1) press "F2" for ~hints (can probably skip ths step)
2) type in: "knoppix 2"
3) type in: "knx-hdinstall" when get a prompt (or what ever the exact command is - I never type in anything over a few chars in in full -just hit tab after "knx" to complete the command)
Regards,
Patrick
-
I have installed knoppix V3.2 03-03-30 de on xfs with knx-hdinstall from the root-shell.
I had no serious problems. Only a message "cp -a cannot stat /alternatives/openoffice" but openoffice is working.
It seems the xfs-problems are solved in this release.
RLA
-
still xfs problems
at least i assume it has got to do with xfs.
i have knoppix 3.2 and i do a hdinstall, have tried several methods:
- normal hd-install
- switching to runlevel 1, then install
- booting to runlevel 2, then install
- booting to runlevel 2 and modifying the knx-hdinstall script (remove the progress bar and let cp run verbose in foreground)
it always hanged at different positions (26%, 75%, 99% ...). except for once (under normal kde environment!), there it got through till the end, but i messed something up lateron and had to install again 
any suggestions?
bye,
alex
-
Senior Member
registered user
Did you try this:
cp -a /KNOPPIX/* to a
intermediate
ext2 mount and then installing from there instead of CD-ROM.
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is an interesting article here that explains differences in file systems. But even after looking it over I can't really see any really compelling reasons to prefer XFS to over ext3. Reiserfs has proved buggy to me on various systems. Have any of you seen noticible performance increases with XFS? Other reasons to use it?
-
no, i didnt try this. the problem is that i do not have too much space left on my harddisk.
could i afterwards delete the ext partition and append it to the xfs partition without losing data?
you cannot convert ext3 to xfs afterwards, right?
bye,
alex
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
00alexx
you cannot convert ext3 to xfs afterwards, right?
Right you cannot do this. The only conversion of linux file systems that I know that works well is ext2 to ext3.
-
Re: Anybody been successful formatting w/ xfs?

Originally Posted by
rickenbacherus
Just curious- anybody got it to work? I've tried repeatedly to format xfs using the knx-hdinstall but if I do the install fails anywhere from 35% to 85% finished. Install works fine w/ ext3.
I found that on my Athlon with my install drive on a pci-ide card, the xfs install fails, but all other work. On my p3 laptop, xfs hdinstall works fine. Knoppix 3.2-20030520
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
aay
Have any of you seen noticible performance increases with XFS? Other reasons to use it?
I've switched to Reiser- there really wasn't any reason to use xfs.
Similar Threads
-
By sakiZ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-16-2004, 05:58 AM
-
By holgerkrumm in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 09:18 AM
-
By HaroldK in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 20
Last Post: 11-08-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By EdlinUser in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-29-2003, 09:15 PM
-
By ndrake in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666 PC4-21300 288-Pin DIMM RAM M393A4K40CB1CRC0Q
$185.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 12inch Silver FHD+ TOUCH Snapdragon 850 2.96 GHz 4GB 128GB
$160.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

New Samsung 990 PRO 4TB with Heatsink PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD MZ-V9P4T0CW
$695.00

Samsung Galaxy Tab SCH-1800 7" 4GB Wi-Fi + Verizon Tablet Working
$30.00

Samsung Galaxy Book2 Pro 360 15.6 i7-1260P 16GB 1TB SSD Laptop FAST SHIP
$349.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab A11 SM-X133 8.7in Wi-Fi 4GB 64GB Gray Open Box
$120.00