-
internet not working in 3.8.1
I have a motorola surfboard 5100 cable modem and I am not able to use the internet in version 3.8.1. In 3.6, using either kernel, the internet worked without me having to do anything. What can I do to fix this. Keep in mind that I am a newbie. I have tried looking in other topics, but usually couldn't understand what to do or I tried to do something suggested and couldn't. Is there anyone out there that can help me? By the way, it's hooked up via usb, because I have no ethernet.
-
Administrator
Site Admin-
Re: internet not working in 3.8.1

Originally Posted by
spoop
.... By the way, it's hooked up via usb, because I have no ethernet.
From what I could learn of this modem on the Motorola site, it supports both USB and Ethernet. My suggestion, do yourself a big favor and get a very inexpensive ethernet NIC (frequently $5 or less, sometimes free after rebate) and put it in your computer. That and an also inexpensive ethernet cable (should be as little as $2.99 or less, although some stores try to rip the unknowing off for $19.99 or more on this item) will resolve many problems that you see with a USB interface to the broadband modem.
An additional thing to do, particularly if you use that broadband connection with any version of Windows, is to get a very inexpensive DSL/Cable router. This will give you an extra level of hardware firewall (very important with Windows and growing in importance with Linux) and will provide a lot of extra utility. These can frequently be had for $10 or less after rebate (I posted about a $5 one that was available last Friday night, and I've even seen then free after rebate). They usually come with their own ethernet cable, so you usually don't even have to buy an additional ethernet cable (the only brand I know not to include an ethernet cable was my $100+ Linksys a few years back).
Similar Threads
-
By rollo11 in forum Networking
Replies: 9
Last Post: 02-22-2006, 12:28 AM
-
By seantycho in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-17-2005, 09:02 PM
-
By I7Iz490N in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-07-2004, 01:28 AM
-
By kibkid in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
-
By §py in forum Networking
Replies: 18
Last Post: 12-18-2003, 03:36 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4
$1499.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 2x8GB DDR4 RAM 3600MHz CMW16GX4M2D3600C18
$99.70
![[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture](/store/img/g/qNwAAeSwPEtqobcJ/s-l225/-BULK-LOT-OF-10-8GB-DDR3-LAPTOP-RAM-SAMSUNG-HYNIX-.jpg)
[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.
$89.99

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 RAM 16GB (1X16GB) 3200Mhz CL16 Desktop Memory
$182.23

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99