Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help MBR had to be reformatted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Help MBR had to be reformatted

    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Help MBR had to be reformatted

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron36
    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.
    Assuming lilo was working correctly before then boot using knoppix 2 with the Knoppix CD then when you get to the prompt.

    Code:
    mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
    To mount the root partition of the HD install and chroot ( change root) and run lilo. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the Knoppix root.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    I have been doing this until I decided to install Windows Xp after installing knoppix and lilo didn't want to get back. It sayd me that my partitions table was broken so i have to restore it.

    I started knoppix (from cd), opened konsole and tiped:

    Code:
    su
    fscdisk
    I selected the option to restore (rewrite it) the partition table and then I was able to install lilo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Galvatron36

    Actually knoppix is a rescue cd.

    Okay, to restore lilo on mbr , read my post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...221&highlight=

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used picture

ASRock AMD BC-250 16GB 128GB SSD Used

$220.00



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99