Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help MBR had to be reformatted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Help MBR had to be reformatted

    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Help MBR had to be reformatted

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron36
    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.
    Assuming lilo was working correctly before then boot using knoppix 2 with the Knoppix CD then when you get to the prompt.

    Code:
    mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
    To mount the root partition of the HD install and chroot ( change root) and run lilo. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the Knoppix root.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    I have been doing this until I decided to install Windows Xp after installing knoppix and lilo didn't want to get back. It sayd me that my partitions table was broken so i have to restore it.

    I started knoppix (from cd), opened konsole and tiped:

    Code:
    su
    fscdisk
    I selected the option to restore (rewrite it) the partition table and then I was able to install lilo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Galvatron36

    Actually knoppix is a rescue cd.

    Okay, to restore lilo on mbr , read my post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...221&highlight=

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120 picture

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-768GB +384GB - 656-0119/ 656-0120

$69.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$155.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 picture

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11

$489.92



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99