Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help MBR had to be reformatted

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    Help MBR had to be reformatted

    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Help MBR had to be reformatted

    Quote Originally Posted by Galvatron36
    okay im sure you're like why would you reformat your MBR and there is a perfectably good reason. windows wouldnt load and for one of the very slim chances I actually had to get into it.,

    so I reformatted my MBR.

    now here is my question I have Knoppix installed on /dev/hdb5/ windowis like on hdc6 or something like that. I'll have to double check once I get into linux again.

    but now I want to get back into knoppix with out reinstalling cause I have a metric fuckton of stuff already in there.

    so I was wondering if anyone knew of a linux rescue disk that would load knoppix and let me rerun lilo and what are the spefications of running lilo with knoppix if there is anything different from installing normal linux distros.

    I already tried loading it from the cd but it was like ummm wtf mate NO! and wouldnt let me redo lilo that way. so if any of this makes sense could someone please help.
    Assuming lilo was working correctly before then boot using knoppix 2 with the Knoppix CD then when you get to the prompt.

    Code:
    mount /dev/hd?? /mnt/hd??
    chroot /mnt/hd??/ /sbin/lilo -v
    To mount the root partition of the HD install and chroot ( change root) and run lilo. Replace the ?? with the drive letter and partition number of the Knoppix root.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Salamanca, Spain
    Posts
    60
    I have been doing this until I decided to install Windows Xp after installing knoppix and lilo didn't want to get back. It sayd me that my partitions table was broken so i have to restore it.

    I started knoppix (from cd), opened konsole and tiped:

    Code:
    su
    fscdisk
    I selected the option to restore (rewrite it) the partition table and then I was able to install lilo.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Galvatron36

    Actually knoppix is a rescue cd.

    Okay, to restore lilo on mbr , read my post:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...221&highlight=

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY

$10.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y picture

Samsung 128GB (4x32GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM 288-Pin M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Y

$699.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$66.00



G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30* picture

G.SKILL FLARE X5 64GB (2 x 32GB) 6000 MT/s DDR5 (AMD EXPO + INTEL XMP) *CL30*

$785.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM picture

Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-800 PC2-6400 240-Pin DIMM

$145.00



Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G) picture

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)

$89.99