Posted this on the KDE board but got no reply. Can anybody help?
Knoppix (Debian) system with KDE 3.2.3; although I don't think this is relevant because I have had the same problem with Mandrake & others.
Problem is with many applications I get an error message:
usually the application starts anyway & runs just fine, often the error message does not appear until after the application has launched, been run & closed out.Code:kdeinit could not launch <application>
There doesn't seem to be any pattern to these errors, for instance I drag'n'dropped the kpat icon from the start menu to the desktop; it starts kpat just fine but I get the error box anyway.
Another example: I drag'n'dropped the kate icon to the desktop, then changed properties to run as a different user (root). Again, it starts & runs OK but I get a 'kdeinit could not lauch kdesu' message.
I have had the same problem with new created desktop icons ie not drag'n'dropped from the start menu. I just use drag'n'drop because it's easier.
What's happening & how do I fix it?
Thanks.

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74
Acer Aspire 16 16" Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V S2 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Arc Refurbished
$519.99
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos
$117.45