Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Saving settings to a floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    5

    Saving settings to a floppy

    How do you do that!? I hate having to keep resetting my settings after each boot

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, just click on the big "K" on the left of the task bar. Then click on KNOPPIX and then on save config to floppy (or something like that). This creates a shell script called knoppix.sh on your floppy which is read upon boot-up with the cheat code: "knoppix floppyconfig."

    I did this with a boot floppy, knopix.sh fit just fine! It has to be a linux formatted disk.

    Good Luck!

    Regards,

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199

    RE: Saving settings to a floppy

    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    It has to be a Linux formatted disk.
    Actually an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine...

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.

    To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....

    Regards,

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    You can make a boot floppy from an MS-DOS formatted disk since rawrite rewrites the whole disk in linux format.

    To use "knoppix floppyconfig" the knoppix.sh file must be on a linux formatted disk as you're running a shell script (*.sh). This is why I use a boot disk as these are the only linux formatted disks I have....
    As I said before, an MS-DOS-formatted floppy works just fine for storing configuration files -- I'm not talking about boot disks. This fact allowed me to copy my Mozilla bookmarks from Windows to my Knoppix configuration floppy and take it to a friend's house so I could maintain my environment on his system -- it worked, that's what matters. I'm sure that's why KFloppy supports MS-type floppy formatting.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?

    Peace,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Royal Oak, Michigan USA
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    Relax, man, I'm just trying to answer the original question. You CAN save ANY linux file (text) to an MS formatted disk. The original question had to do with saving settings and getting them back on boot-up, right?
    Yes, and that's the question I answered. One of the problems with written communication is that subtlties can be lost. I didn't mean to sound TOO forceful, I just wanted to be understood... Knoppix settings can be saved to -- and retrieved at boot from -- an MS-DOS-formatted disk; that was my message.

Similar Threads

  1. saving settings
    By punkpaddy in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
  2. saving settings
    By ankit in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2003, 03:23 AM
  3. Aumix not saving settings?
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-21-2003, 06:11 PM
  4. saving settings on floppy disk
    By tyiooo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-07-2003, 04:13 PM
  5. Saving settings to a URL?
    By true1ever in forum Ideas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-13-2003, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor

$114.99



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested picture

Intel Core i7-4770 3.40GHz Quad Core SR149 LGA 1150 CPU Processor tested

$35.00



LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5 picture

LAST BATCH *Brand New-Sealed* AMD Ryzen 9 9950X3D2 Dual Ed. 4.3GHz 16Core AM5

$768.00



Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151 picture

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151

$79.99



Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor picture

Intel Core I7-7700 SR338 3.60 Ghz Processor

$39.99



Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i7-7700K SR33A 4.20GHz 4-Core LGA1151 CPU Processor

$62.95



ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4 picture

ASRock b560 ATX Motherboard + Intel Core i5-11600K CPU Combo Gaming + 32 GB DDR4

$300.00



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00