-
problems with DVD drive and playing dvd movies
Hello
I just installed the dvd drive today. I used to have a cd rom instead of a dvd drive as master and a cd rw as slave. I took the cd rom out and put the dvd drive as master. I can mount the dvd drive just fine but it does not play the dvd cd.
i get these errors
uffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1655264
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1655265
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1655264
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1655265
this is my fstab
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda6 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/sr1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,ro,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 none swap defaults 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 reiserfs noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda9 /mnt/hda9 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10 ext3 noauto,users,exec 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 vfat defaults,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 vfat noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
cdrom is now the dvd.
-
Senior Member
registered user
What kernel are you booting? uname -r
If it's 2.6.* then you don't need scsi emulation and if you're not using scsi emu then /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 are losers. You need the actual device name. It sounds like you have the dvd drive as Secondary Master which is /dev/hdc.
-

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
What kernel are you booting? uname -r
If it's 2.6.* then you don't need scsi emulation and if you're not using scsi emu then /dev/sr0 and /dev/sr1 are losers. You need the actual device name. It sounds like you have the dvd drive as Secondary Master which is /dev/hdc.
i am with kernel 2.6.6. and my CD drives ONLY work with scsi emulation. DO not ask me why..i do not know
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well you can try mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
You're not by chance mounting the drive and then trying to play the dvd are you? No need to mount the drive to play dvd's.
What does cdrecord -scanbus say?
-

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi
Well you can try mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
You're not by chance mounting the drive and then trying to play the dvd are you? No need to mount the drive to play dvd's.
What does cdrecord -scanbus say?
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.30
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'CREATIVE' 'DVD-ROM DVD2240E' '1.3A' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
scsibus1:
1,0,0 100) 'Memorex ' '52MAXX 2452AJ ' '6WS6' Removable CD-ROM
1,1,0 101) *
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
scsibus2:
2,0,0 200) 'Mobile ' 'Drive ' '7.77' Disk
2,1,0 201) *
2,2,0 202) *
2,3,0 203) *
2,4,0 204) *
2,5,0 205) *
2,6,0 206) *
2,7,0 207) *
im getting these from dmesg
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1609725
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1609726
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1609727
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1609696
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 1609697
Actually i got it to work by doing apt-get install wxvlc libdvdcss2 but now it does not work...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
DimGR
i am with kernel 2.6.6. and my CD drives ONLY work with scsi emulation. DO not ask me why..i do not know
I don't believe you.
Remove scsi emu from your boot loader. Make sure /dev/cdrom and/or /dev/dvd is linked to /dev/hdc. Then you should have easy access to your drives.
For the record I have no idea what your error means!
-

Originally Posted by
mzilikazi

Originally Posted by
DimGR
i am with kernel 2.6.6. and my CD drives ONLY work with scsi emulation. DO not ask me why..i do not know
I don't believe you.

Remove scsi emu from your boot loader. Make sure /dev/cdrom and/or /dev/dvd is linked to /dev/hdc. Then you should have easy access to your drives.
For the record I have no idea what your error means!

i got it to work
-
Senior Member
registered user
How did you get it to work? I'm having same problem. I can mount the drive but cannot play a dvd. Just comes out as files. Here is what I get when i cdrecord -scanbus:
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.30
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) 'HP ' 'CD-Writer cd16f ' '1.1D' Removable CD-ROM
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) *
0,3,0 3) *
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *
scsibus1:
1,0,0 100) 'HL-DT-ST' 'DVD-ROM GDR8160B' '0011' Removable CD-ROM
1,1,0 101) *
1,2,0 102) *
1,3,0 103) *
1,4,0 104) *
1,5,0 105) *
1,6,0 106) *
1,7,0 107) *
Similar Threads
-
By Curls in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-08-2005, 02:14 PM
-
By emmbec in forum Tips and Tricks
Replies: 8
Last Post: 11-25-2004, 11:34 AM
-
By MorskNorsk in forum General Support
Replies: 10
Last Post: 09-15-2003, 12:20 PM
-
By ivi in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-26-2003, 08:07 AM
-
By Lando in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:37 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER
$94.94

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor
$50.00