-
adding the WEP key causes problem
I'm new to using knoppix(and still pretty new to linux also for that matter), I have installed knoppix 3.4 on a Toshiba Satellite A10 and there are no problems at all with the wireless. It says it is using orinoco_cs intersil PRISM2 card, and it works fine, WITH THE ENCRYPTION TURNED OFF. N ow I live in a downtown urban area and like to keep at least 128-bit encryption on my D-LINK hub/router, cause I know other idiots who drive around with laptops looking for an open wireless signal.
Anyway, I've tried to use wlcardconfig(as root) to try and set the WEP key on the laptop. When I've tried this it seems to fail and immediately afterward(says it no longer detects a wireless card). Does anybody else get this and know why it happens and how to fix it? In reading these forums I found someone said I'd have to type pump -i ath0(is that it?) I haven't had the opportunity to try that yet, does it save the settings I entered using wlcardconfig?? I also tried "wlan configuration" under the knoppix menu and it did the same thing. All I want to do is set my ESSID to either "any" or the actual ESSID name and add the WEP key. I also know that my router uses channel 6; should I be entering this parameter as well? It works in "managed" mode...I'm not too sure what I need to enter since it does offer to configure many settings. I've googled around for a solution but still can't find it. Is there a wlcardconfig howto out there I haven't found? Arrgghh! help please.
Similar Threads
-
By pppreese in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-06-2005, 06:38 PM
-
By Mishaa in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 11-02-2004, 02:09 AM
-
By rrfish72 in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-13-2004, 09:25 PM
-
By Joe999 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 08-08-2004, 02:47 AM
-
By ComatoseJedi in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-28-2003, 06:24 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed
$199.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597
$36.98

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch
$115.00

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99