-
Questions about full hdd install, partitions size, etc..
knoppix-installer just dont want to co-operate with me; I keep getting the same error message,, something about cannot make ext3 mkfs? So i went and got Acronis (a partition maker) and I assume (forgive my assumptions) that the partitiions should look something like this,
hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3
from here I've been able to use the cheatcodes to copy the cd in compressed form to hda3 without the use of lilo, so i use the live cd to boot.
however, I'm more interested in makeing a full uncompressed install.
I think I read somewhere to use the du command?
Is the partition size I have good?
any changes you can suggest or will amunition be required?
the goal of this install is to have a full knoppix install (standard GNU/LINUX) and to learn as much about the installation process and running linux as possible, so needless to say, the computer I have has no value to me outside of learning linux aka nothing mission criticle, and I'm just here to learn.
-
Senior Member
registered user
hda1 /boot 40megs ext3 (made bootable)
hda2 /swap 1gig swap (I have a 400 meg AMD with 320 meg RAM)
hda3 /root rest of drive ext3
Your partition will work for real Debian installation but for knoppix-installer it won't(for newbie).
1 gig of swap is too big, any linux distro will not need that much.
For knoppix-installer to work you only need two partition.
1) Linux Swap (between 128 to 500 Mb)
2) Ext3 at least 2 Gb (I suggest you partition more than that..the rest of your partition, because in futiure, you might want to learn how to install programs, how to compile programs, and alot more of hows....welcome to linux world...learning is a daily task.)
-
Senior Member
registered user
try this
ight8, if you're a newbie you might consider this advice from a fellow newbie. Divide your hard drive in half (except for the swap partition). Use one half for your active installation and use the other half for a backup partition of the active one. I use partition commander for this purpose. Now only when you have an active partition that represents a good knoppix install, copy the active to the backup.
Now when you goof, and you will, and you find yourself unable to undo the damage without taking a lot of linux courses, merely copy the backup partition to the active one and you're up and running again. This has saved me at least 50 times so far.
Similar Threads
-
By GerryA in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-09-2005, 05:11 PM
-
By bwathen in forum Laptops
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-29-2005, 12:53 PM
-
By clarjon1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-25-2005, 04:43 AM
-
By wavetel in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
-
By alex52 in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-16-2005, 11:39 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU
$11.00

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS
$239.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA
$350.48

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$179.98

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS
$84.49

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid
$139.99

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor
$249.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS
$144.98