Quote Originally Posted by turbine
Cuddles:

my dmesg command output contains this dvd info:

hdc: HITACHI DVD-ROM GD-2500, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdd: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 8100, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
Ok,

So your DVD is on /dev/hdc -=- I think the DMA will only solve a "choppy" display of DVD's when you are playing them... I think BaldYeti is on the right course for your Xine resolve...

First thing, if you have hard drive installed Knoppix, then an entry in your /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh file can be made for the DMA issue...

In a root Konsole, start up your favorite editor, my preferance is KWrite... Here is what you can do for the DMA...

root@Morpheus:/home/cuddles# kwrite /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh

( inside KWrite, go all the way down to the very bottom of the file, and add the following line:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

Then save the file, and exit out of KWrite...

Back in the root Konsole window, since the change you made in the above file will only take effect the next time you boot, then enter the following line on the root prompt, so that you don't need to reboot to get it activated:

root@Morpheus:/home/cuddles# hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

You can then verify that DMA is enabled on the device, by the following command:

root@Morpheus:/home/cuddles# hdparm -d /dev/hdc

Getting back to your resolve with BaldYeti, this is the link I have for my DVD:

Code:
root@Morpheus:/home/cuddles# ls -la /dev/dvd
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Jul  2 08:57 /dev/dvd -> sr0
root@Morpheus:/home/cuddles#
If you look in your output from dmesg, you will note that any CD-ROM / DVD is transfered to the SCSI emulation, and then is given another device name - mine get translated to /dev/sr#'s - my guess is, your DVD is being translated to /dev/sr0, and your writter is getting /dev/sr1

I have the exact device setup - a DVD on hdb, which is sr0 -=- and a re-writter on hdd, which is sr1...

As BaldYeti suggested, you need to follow your "link" trail...

In your case:

Gee -=- disregard, it appears you got the boot floppy issue resolved -=- I would be sure to label your boot floppy #2 as "Emergency" or something, and label your boot floppy #1 as your "usable" one... Very interesting... I think your #2 floppy is a "stripped down" boot, whereas, your #1 floppy is actually the instalation floppy you should be booting from regularly - my guess...

Oh well, I guess having to work, cost me a fix of someone issues, durn,
Ms. Cuddles