Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: How do I play a dvd?

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    for baldyeti

    OK, baldyeti, I ran both of those commands and here is what I got:

    knoppix@nickshp:~$ ls -al /dev/cdrom
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Jun 10 10:31 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0

    knoppix@nickshp:~$ ls -alL /dev/dvd
    brw-rw---- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 31 2001 /dev/dvd
    knoppix@nickshp:~$

  2. #12
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    try "sudo chmod 666 /dev/scd0"

    "ls -al /dev/scd0" should now display brw-rw-rw-

    if it still does not work, make sure scsi emulation is enabled in your /etc/lilo.conf

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    tried it

    Here's a laffer:

    knoppix@nickshp:~$ sudo chmod 666 /dev/scd0
    knoppix is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
    knoppix@nickshp:~$

    I was able to issue the command after doing a su

    now I get
    root@nickshp:/home/knoppix# ls -al /dev/scd0
    brw-rw-rw- 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 31 2001 /dev/scd0

  4. #14
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    no lilo

    Don't know about scsi emulation, though. I'm not using lilo at all.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    I was able to issue the command after doing a su/dev/scd0
    Erh ... glad to read that, but can you now play a dvd ;-?

  6. #16
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    nogo

    Did all of that. Still doesn't work. The operation was a success but the patient died.

  7. #17
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555

    Re: no lilo

    Quote Originally Posted by turbine
    Don't know about scsi emulation, though. I'm not using lilo at all.
    Are you sure ? Maybe its menu just does not show if you're not multi-booting? Anyway, either in /etc/lilo.conf or /boot/grub/menu.lst, your kernel bootup parameters should mention
    "hdc=ide-scsi"

    I may also be completely off, and perhaps it's your video card/driver that's missing features necessary to play DVD's, as xine seems to complain about that as well.

  8. #18
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    floppy

    When I boot knoppix I boot from a floppy diskette. Shouldn't be a problem with my video card since I play dvd's perfectly fine over on win98. Meanwhile I'll check those files.

  9. #19
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    Don't bother they're ignored if you're booting from floppy. Sorry I am running out of suggestions.

  10. #20
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    203

    wrong diskette

    The problem is solved but the mystery remains.

    Cuddles and baldyeti thank you so much for your help. I'll tell you what the solution was/is but I cannot tell you why.

    There exists 2 different boot diskettes. Number 1 is the one that you get when you hdd install knoppix and it asks you to create a startup disk.

    Number 2 is the one that you get when you run the mkboot command.

    I've been booting with number 2.

    When I tried booting with number 1, xine plays those dvd's with no problem.

    Go figure.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to play .wmv, .asf, and .asx files?
    By hinachan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 03:05 AM
  2. xine won't play dvd
    By rebooter04 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 06:21 PM
  3. how to play a DVD movie...
    By ngs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-04-2005, 05:03 AM
  4. 3.6 / 2.6 KsCD won't play
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2005, 06:06 AM
  5. Any one play with MORPHIX?
    By xetaprime in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-03-2003, 05:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99