Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

    Hi All

    I am new to KNOPPIX. I have a question concerning the read/write/save ability of .profile and .bshrc files. I need to edit these files but I am unable to find them (and subsequently edit and save them) in KNOPPIX. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have noticed that after running KNOPPIX, two files name bash.history and .history are created in the root directory in the 'C' drive. Would the .profile and .bshrc files be created in a similar manner.

    As a side note, I have had trouble running C Shell accessed from the Shells dropdown menu. When I select C Shell, the window opens and quickly disapears. Is this suppose to happen?

    Regards

    Marcus Jacobs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The profile file is /etc/profile which applies to all users, you should be able to find the .bashrc and .bash_profile file in your home directory. As for the C shell I have no idea.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

    --' cat /etc/shells ' and see ' man chsh '. Start an rxvt or Konsole, and see if you can run ' csh ' from there.

    ' man bash ' and "/" search for ".bashrc". If you are the knoppix user, they are/will be created in "~/knoppix" (/home/knoppix). If root, they are in "/root/.bashrc".

    --Don't forget, you may have to chmod +x these files.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcdevon
    Hi All

    I am new to KNOPPIX. I have a question concerning the read/write/save ability of .profile and .bshrc files. I need to edit these files but I am unable to find them (and subsequently edit and save them) in KNOPPIX. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have noticed that after running KNOPPIX, two files name bash.history and .history are created in the root directory in the 'C' drive. Would the .profile and .bshrc files be created in a similar manner.

    As a side note, I have had trouble running C Shell accessed from the Shells dropdown menu. When I select C Shell, the window opens and quickly disapears. Is this suppose to happen?

    Regards

    Marcus Jacobs

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/profile called twice when xterm icon clicked
    By pelican in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
  2. How do I reinitialize a profile from last session logout
    By toaster2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. /etc/profile won't execute xterm or konsole
    By markgilmore1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
  4. changing default user profile
    By bigdaddy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 01:55 AM
  5. Root profile loading
    By skydiesis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive picture

HP Samsung PM871b 2.5 SATA SSD 256GB Solid state drive

$29.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$39.99