Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: C-language and Java development

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1

    C-language and Java development

    I have been developing some C-language and Java programs in Windows and Unix. I want to try to do some of that development under Linux (KNOPPIX) running on a Windows XP system (HP Pavilion).

    I set up a partition for my configuration and files on a USB hard drive, but I am having trouble storing files there. On Unix I can make a directory, create a file with an editor and save it, and then compile it. With KNOPPIX, I get messages that the file cannot be stored on my read-only drive, even when I have allocated a 50M partition.

    Is there a step-by-step guide for creating a file and compiling it? I know how to use all the commands (mkdir, cc, etc.) from a command prompt, but I am stumbling with some elementary setup barriers.

    Any help will be appreciated.

    citpeks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    /etc/fstab (FileSystem Table) contains information who may mount a drive, and which permissions to use.

    assuming your drive is /dev/sda1 and mounted to /mnt/usb, then there is an entry
    /dev/sda1 /mnt/usb vfat defaults 0 0
    instead vfat, there might be 'auto'.
    Instead defaults, there might be this or that.
    make that entry: noauto,users,exec (no blank after comma) which means:
    don't mount automatically at boot,
    allow users to mount
    allow execution of files from that drive.

    missing filepermissions (rwx) on vfat-drives are often disturbing - - -
    defaults setting only allow root to mount the drive who becomes owner of that files.

    But you say you made a partition: reiserfs? ext2? ext3 or other linux-partition?

    By the way - this is a 'general' question.
    This section is more for entertainment or the forum as such, I think.

    Did I mention 'man fstab' and 'man mount'?
    Did you format it (mkfs.reiserfs, mkfs....)?
    Perhaps your /etc/fstab contains in the option-section a 'ro' - read-only.
    Delete it! Away away!

    May root mount it?
    It might be /dev/sda2 if it's not the first partition.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1
    Knoppix handles harddrives as read-only by default. You can allow writing on a drive explicitly by right-clicking on it, and then finding the readonly checkbox somewhere in the context menu. (Unfortunately I don't remember where, maybe options or settings)

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    Sounds to me like you want to install KNOPPIX to the hdd. I'm not clear on your configuration. I'm assuming its one of these 3:

    (1) You are booting from a liveCD and trying to save your work to a hdd partition.

    (2) You copied the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file from the CD to a hdd partition and booted from there (aka "poorman's dual boot").

    (3) You actually installed to an hdd partition, created a user, booted from there and logged-in.

    In the case of (1), your hdd partitions should show-up as an icon on your KNOPPIX desktop. Simply clicking on it gives you a KONQUEROR dir listing of that partition. However, that partition is ro by default. You can right-click that icon and change from ro to rw to save your files.

    In the case of (2), you're working with an ro file system just as if you were running from the CD. You cannot save there. The only thing I can think of in this case is to save to a floppy or another hdd partition.

    Case (3) is how I set-up my PCs and have no trouble editting, saving, printing, compiling or executing my C++ and Java code.

    Good Luck!

    HTH,
    AJG

Similar Threads

  1. A GNU development environment
    By kynax in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2005, 01:06 PM
  2. About learning game development !
    By rangalo in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2005, 12:32 PM
  3. keyboard language different from console language?
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 12:46 AM
  4. KDevelop / c++ Development
    By AS in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 07:36 PM
  5. Java development
    By Kethinov in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2003, 05:46 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$95.99



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00