Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    1

    Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

    Hi All

    I am new to KNOPPIX. I have a question concerning the read/write/save ability of .profile and .bshrc files. I need to edit these files but I am unable to find them (and subsequently edit and save them) in KNOPPIX. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have noticed that after running KNOPPIX, two files name bash.history and .history are created in the root directory in the 'C' drive. Would the .profile and .bshrc files be created in a similar manner.

    As a side note, I have had trouble running C Shell accessed from the Shells dropdown menu. When I select C Shell, the window opens and quickly disapears. Is this suppose to happen?

    Regards

    Marcus Jacobs

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    The profile file is /etc/profile which applies to all users, you should be able to find the .bashrc and .bash_profile file in your home directory. As for the C shell I have no idea.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Location of .profile .bshrc ????????

    --' cat /etc/shells ' and see ' man chsh '. Start an rxvt or Konsole, and see if you can run ' csh ' from there.

    ' man bash ' and "/" search for ".bashrc". If you are the knoppix user, they are/will be created in "~/knoppix" (/home/knoppix). If root, they are in "/root/.bashrc".

    --Don't forget, you may have to chmod +x these files.

    Quote Originally Posted by marcdevon
    Hi All

    I am new to KNOPPIX. I have a question concerning the read/write/save ability of .profile and .bshrc files. I need to edit these files but I am unable to find them (and subsequently edit and save them) in KNOPPIX. Does anyone know if this is possible? I have noticed that after running KNOPPIX, two files name bash.history and .history are created in the root directory in the 'C' drive. Would the .profile and .bshrc files be created in a similar manner.

    As a side note, I have had trouble running C Shell accessed from the Shells dropdown menu. When I select C Shell, the window opens and quickly disapears. Is this suppose to happen?

    Regards

    Marcus Jacobs

Similar Threads

  1. /etc/profile called twice when xterm icon clicked
    By pelican in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 09:43 PM
  2. How do I reinitialize a profile from last session logout
    By toaster2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 04:12 PM
  3. /etc/profile won't execute xterm or konsole
    By markgilmore1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 04:24 PM
  4. changing default user profile
    By bigdaddy in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2003, 01:55 AM
  5. Root profile loading
    By skydiesis in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-12-2003, 08:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH picture

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH

$179.99



Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0 picture

Intel 6th Gen Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Turbo 4.2GHz) 4-Core LGA1151 CPU SR2L0

$38.00



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition picture

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition

$88.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR picture

Intel Core i5-7500 SR335 3.4GHz 4-Core LGA 1151 CPU PROCESSOR

$14.99



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99



Intel® Core™ i9-9820X 3.3GHz CPU picture

Intel® Core™ i9-9820X 3.3GHz CPU

$68.00