-
New comp coming...
Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:
First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...
Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation. 
Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:
hda1 - Boot Partition
hda2 - Windows INstalled
hda5 - Knoppix
hda6 - Swap
Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: New comp coming...

Originally Posted by
Stealth870
Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:
First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...
There have been alot of posts regarding cdrom drives. Honestly I don't know what the problem is exactly but it's fixable. I think alot of it is simply people who don't realize that it's possible to mount a disc by hand instead of clicking something.
Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation.
Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:
hda1 - Boot Partition
hda2 - Windows INstalled
hda5 - Knoppix
hda6 - Swap
Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...
Sure lilo can dual boot. I don't know of a boot loader that cannot.
You don't need a /boot partition. When you install lilo (or any other boot loader) to MBR it goes in the hidden track not to a partition. Why not use GRUB? It's a much better boot loader and just as easy to install. Simply run the installer, configure your installation, Quit (save your config) edit .knofig and change lilo to grub. When you add another OS you don;t have to reinstall GRUB like you do w/ lilo. Just update the config file that GRUB reads. /boot/grub/menu.lst
Similar Threads
-
By pluto in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
-
By GoP-Demon in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM
-
By brettg in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:59 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
Replies: 2
Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:54 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB
$246.00

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99