Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New comp coming...

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    44

    New comp coming...

    Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:

    First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...

    Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation.

    Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:

    hda1 - Boot Partition
    hda2 - Windows INstalled
    hda5 - Knoppix
    hda6 - Swap

    Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: New comp coming...

    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth870
    Ok, guys, I have a brand new DEll coming in tomorrow or so. Knoppix is gonna be installed there hopefully. I have some questions though:

    First, was the CD-ROM bug fixed in Knoppix? I know that I installed it on an HDD before and on the 2.6 kernel the CD-ROMs didnt work...
    There have been alot of posts regarding cdrom drives. Honestly I don't know what the problem is exactly but it's fixable. I think alot of it is simply people who don't realize that it's possible to mount a disc by hand instead of clicking something.

    Second, I think Dell keeps some help/restore crap on the first partition, if I install Knoppix and install LILO too, LILO should be able to just replace the boot loader part right? I mean, it really doesn't matter, I don't think I've ever used the DEll recover stuff on the odler comp, and since this is a new comp, I can't screw up my current WIndows installation.

    Lastly, I've always had a question. LILO can dual-boot right? WHen you choose the Windows option does it need to boot the boot part of the hdd? As in you have sumthin like:

    hda1 - Boot Partition
    hda2 - Windows INstalled
    hda5 - Knoppix
    hda6 - Swap

    Ok, does LILO boot hda2 or hda1? Its just something I've wondered...
    Sure lilo can dual boot. I don't know of a boot loader that cannot.
    You don't need a /boot partition. When you install lilo (or any other boot loader) to MBR it goes in the hidden track not to a partition. Why not use GRUB? It's a much better boot loader and just as easy to install. Simply run the installer, configure your installation, Quit (save your config) edit .knofig and change lilo to grub. When you add another OS you don;t have to reinstall GRUB like you do w/ lilo. Just update the config file that GRUB reads. /boot/grub/menu.lst

Similar Threads

  1. How do I connect a windows comp to linux comp?
    By pluto in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 06:34 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 11:08 AM
  3. booting knoppix without the gui coming up
    By brettg in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:59 PM
  4. When Is the New Knoppix Coming Out?
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox

$620.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00