Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Compression with drive image backup

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Compression with drive image backup

    Everytime I've backed up a 8 gig hardrive, I've had to manually make a zip file of the resulting image, the drive it self is composed of highly compressable data, (free space, tiff images, RTF documents) which bring the size down to about 4 gigs, What I want to know is, is there a way to atomaticly gzip(or what ever is the best) the data as its being backed up (I'm useing dd, to a samba server). I understand it would take significanlty longer.

    Also I'm currently useing this
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda | split -b 100000000 - ~/backup/drivebu.img.
    to send the data to a remote samba server. Though I want just one big file, so would this work?

    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=~/backup/drivebuimage.img
    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    If its any help here is how to do it with SSH

    Code:
    If you want to compress the image, use gzip, making necessary changes for your system 
    dd if=/dev/hda | gzip --fast -c | ssh user@remotehost /bin/dd of=/tmp/mypc_hda.img.gz

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    alright I got it.
    To make one,
    Code:
    dd if=/dev/hda(or other drive) | gzip -(1 through 8 with 1 being fastest and 8 having best compresion, --fast =1 --best =8) -c | dd of=~/sambabu/hda.img.gz
    and to restore
    Code:
    xcat ~/sambabu/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Xcat Newbie Question

    Pardon the newbie question.

    Having recently backedup to an UNCOMPRESSED image file recently, I was wondering if you can use Xcat to restore the partition.

    sakiZ

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    just cat instead of xcat

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    Kernel Panic! I Must have done something wrong.

    Ok I restored my Knoppix partition from an image file.

    But now after booting for a few seconds, it suddenly stops with a "kernel panic" message. wiith messages saying "file type not supported.

    Yet, I boot with the CD and I can see the whole partition restored. I just can't boot from it.

    What is going on?

    sakiZ

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    "dd" from an *.img file: I think I see the proble

    Ok. Knoppix likes files system ext2

    But in the process of "dd" ing from the hdb2.img file to the /dev/hdb2 partition, the partition becomes changed to ext3.

    But how do I stop the "dd" process from converting the partition to ext3?

    sakiZ

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: "dd" from an *.img file: I think I see the pr

    Quote Originally Posted by sakiZ
    Ok. Knoppix likes files system ext2

    But in the process of "dd" ing from the hdb2.img file to the /dev/hdb2 partition, the partition becomes changed to ext3.

    But how do I stop the "dd" process from converting the partition to ext3?

    sakiZ
    Never heard of that problem,

    dd is suppose to make a bit-for-bit copy.

    Something might has gotten corrupted.

    Next time I would md5sum the files first. (acually I would reccomend you use partimage)

    just tack this on the end of the command.

    && cat /dev/hdb2 | md5sum && cat ~/image.img | md5sum

    Then compare the resulting string of numbers and letters, if they aren't the same, something went wrong.

    Like I said before though, use partimage I learned alittle latter that its better.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    342

    You're Right Something got Corrupted

    Yes, Something got corrupted during the dd process. I don't think I'll use the dd to an image again.

    It screwed up my ability to boot, but after a reinstall I was able to loop mount the hdb2.img file and copy all data, personal files and such into the new install.

    Knoppix is running fine now.

    Oh Well.

    SakiZ

Similar Threads

  1. burn hard drive image to multiple dvds
    By jon1234444 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-20-2005, 08:14 AM
  2. 1GB pen drive w/knoppix image boots but cant start linux...
    By ScottP in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-08-2005, 07:03 PM
  3. Takes a long time to image a drive with dd
    By brentokc in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-09-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. Question about hard drive image
    By punkass in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 05:20 PM
  5. Using ISO-image as source on a network drive
    By andreas_w in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-01-2003, 12:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI picture

Micron 128GB (8x16GB) PC4-3200AA Server Ram / ECC Memory MTA18ASF2G72PDZ-3G2J3UI

$1100.00



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM picture

Hynix 16GB PC4-2933Y 288pin DDR4 SDRAM ECC Reg Server Memory HMA82GR7JJR8N-WM

$79.95



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED picture

M386A8K40BM2-CTD SAMSUNG 64GB (1X64GB) 4DRX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 SERVER MEMORY TESTED

$289.00



Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC picture

Samsung 32GBX2 1Rx4 PC4-3200AA DDR4 ECC Server Memory M393A4G40AB3-CWEBQ 64GB EC

$370.00



Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage. picture

Lenovo 2TB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Metal Drive Flash Memory Stick Data Storage.

$3.99