If its any help here is how to do it with SSH
Code:If you want to compress the image, use gzip, making necessary changes for your system dd if=/dev/hda | gzip --fast -c | ssh user@remotehost /bin/dd of=/tmp/mypc_hda.img.gz
Everytime I've backed up a 8 gig hardrive, I've had to manually make a zip file of the resulting image, the drive it self is composed of highly compressable data, (free space, tiff images, RTF documents) which bring the size down to about 4 gigs, What I want to know is, is there a way to atomaticly gzip(or what ever is the best) the data as its being backed up (I'm useing dd, to a samba server). I understand it would take significanlty longer.
Also I'm currently useing this
to send the data to a remote samba server. Though I want just one big file, so would this work?Code:dd if=/dev/hda | split -b 100000000 - ~/backup/drivebu.img.
Thank you.Code:dd if=/dev/hda of=~/backup/drivebuimage.img
If its any help here is how to do it with SSH
Code:If you want to compress the image, use gzip, making necessary changes for your system dd if=/dev/hda | gzip --fast -c | ssh user@remotehost /bin/dd of=/tmp/mypc_hda.img.gz
alright I got it.
To make one,
and to restoreCode:dd if=/dev/hda(or other drive) | gzip -(1 through 8 with 1 being fastest and 8 having best compresion, --fast =1 --best =8) -c | dd of=~/sambabu/hda.img.gz
Code:xcat ~/sambabu/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda
Pardon the newbie question.
Having recently backedup to an UNCOMPRESSED image file recently, I was wondering if you can use Xcat to restore the partition.
sakiZ
just cat instead of xcat
Ok I restored my Knoppix partition from an image file.
But now after booting for a few seconds, it suddenly stops with a "kernel panic" message. wiith messages saying "file type not supported.
Yet, I boot with the CD and I can see the whole partition restored. I just can't boot from it.
What is going on?
sakiZ
Ok. Knoppix likes files system ext2
But in the process of "dd" ing from the hdb2.img file to the /dev/hdb2 partition, the partition becomes changed to ext3.
But how do I stop the "dd" process from converting the partition to ext3?
sakiZ
Never heard of that problem,Originally Posted by sakiZ
dd is suppose to make a bit-for-bit copy.
Something might has gotten corrupted.
Next time I would md5sum the files first. (acually I would reccomend you use partimage)
just tack this on the end of the command.
&& cat /dev/hdb2 | md5sum && cat ~/image.img | md5sum
Then compare the resulting string of numbers and letters, if they aren't the same, something went wrong.
Like I said before though, use partimage I learned alittle latter that its better.
Yes, Something got corrupted during the dd process. I don't think I'll use the dd to an image again.
It screwed up my ability to boot, but after a reinstall I was able to loop mount the hdb2.img file and copy all data, personal files and such into the new install.
Knoppix is running fine now.
Oh Well.
SakiZ

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99
Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00
DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29
UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25
SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2
$70.00
Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested
$159.95
INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC
$40.00
ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99
Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00
ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95