Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Boot up/memory problem (new to Linux)

  1. #1

    Boot up/memory problem (new to Linux)

    Hello all,

    I've just got a copy of Knoppix 3.4 but I'm having problems booting. While booting I recive a message saying "Couldn't Start KDEint. Check your installation!". Instantly after this message I recive another saying that I do not have enough memory.

    I've had a look at the FAQs and found mention of the second error but the answer for this involved creating a swap file. This doesn't seem approiate as I have 512MB memory (32 is used by onboard graphics).

    I have tried typing "knoppix mem=480M" but this has no effect.

    Anyone able to help?

    Cheers,
    Benedict

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Boot your pc, look carefully at what bios reported, is is reporting your memory is 512MB. Sometime, memory module just got loose from it slots and only able to read less.

  3. #3
    I think I've found the problem. I ran 'knoppix testcd' and this reported an error in the file 'knoppix\knoppix'. I tried coping this file to my HD in Windows but it failed. Seeing this is file is 678MB I guess that's what's causing the problem.

    Benedict

Similar Threads

  1. Memory Problem running UML/MLN [SOLVED]
    By svenaron in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2005, 09:18 PM
  2. usb memory key problem
    By stevlev in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2005, 10:44 PM
  3. Problem using USB memory stick
    By hgpuke in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2004, 10:42 PM
  4. 1 GB memory boot ISO image run entirely from memory?
    By rrolsbe in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-12-2003, 09:42 PM
  5. Memory problem on reboot
    By Dickey Peterson in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-09-2003, 06:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned

$29.00



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.00



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC picture

EDILOCA EN880E 1TB M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen4 Internal SSD for Laptop/PC

$115.00