-
lilo not writing to /mnt/hda
That should be no problem. You said 'trying' so have you succeeded or not?
I say "trying" because I've not been able to boot to knoppix from the HD. But, all files seem to copy to the partition I'm installing it to.
Since you don't tell us how you are trying to install LILO we don't have much to go on. During the install process it should prompt you about installing LILO to the root directory, the MBR or a floppy.
I'm trying to install lilo as part of the knx-hdinstall script. At the end of installation, you are asked to install lilo.
Here's a little more detail regarding the steps I've taken. I started out following a little howto I found at http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html. However, knx-hdinstall kept popping up German dialogue. So, I searched this forum and found a link to http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/ where there was an English version of knx-hdinstall. I'm running it from a terminal window in KDE. I'm guessing that's OK. The script seems to run fine.
I've tried to install twice. The first time I was offered the opportunity to create a boot floppy. I declined to do so, but wished I had. So, I accepted that and tried to install again and create a floppy. This time, it won't boot from the HD or from the floppy. It tries to boot from the floppy. But, then it hangs. I don't recall at what point or the exact error (I wasn't planning on getting help with that). I just figured that the floppy was bad. I was going to give it another try with a different floppy. But, I wanted to see if there was anything that I could do to improve my chances of getting lilo on the mbr before I spent any more time on it.
Is that too much info??
Darren
Similar Threads
-
By tomjermy in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-17-2005, 01:07 AM
-
By irvine in forum The Lounge
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-02-2004, 03:27 AM
-
By bikerman in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-15-2004, 12:22 AM
-
By shadinio in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-25-2004, 09:09 PM
-
By Coma0 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-17-2003, 02:04 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Vintage Digital VR241-A color CRT monitor, powers on, DEC Rainbow or terminal
$150.00

Vintage DEC Digital T1043 DWMBB/B VAXBI XMI Adapter 5018232-01 C1 VAX Board
$119.99

Vintage DEC Digital XMI-A1 5017293-01A1 LWPR BE3-0 VAX Circuit Board T2012
$74.99

Vintage DEC Digital Starion 200 Desktop PC Powers On Boots To BIOS NO HDD - DW
$269.99

Vintage DEC VT100 Series Terminal (Powers On)
$499.99

Vintage DEC LK201 Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) LK201-AA Computer Keyboard
$149.99

VINTAGE DEC 54-20470-02 MULTI-PLANE SPX COLOR GRAPHICS CARD FOR VXT2000 TERMINAL
$169.00

Vintage DEC Digital CompacTape II Tape Cartridge TK-52 TK-70
$29.99

Vintage DEC/Mostek memory systems MK 8015 AA-00 6805-08015 1100 REV C(B7)
$279.99

Vintage DEC Digital VSXXX-AA.B03 Hawley 3-Button Mouse 1986 Tested Working
$111.00