Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Config 5.1 Surroun System

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2

    Config 5.1 Surroun System

    I would like configure my 5.1 Surround System under Knoppix.
    In Windows under the control panel i can select the box type (in this case 5.1 Sound System). But how can i do this in knoppix?

    I already configure my sound card. Knoppix find it automatically. But i hear sound only from 2 boxes........

    What can i do?
    (I am new in linux please give me not complicated answers....)

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    amateur,

    Not sure about this, but, I don't think OSS is going to do it for you...

    I think you might want to use ALSA ( I think the acronym stands for Advance Linux Sound Archetecture, but don't quote me on it )

    I don't think OSS has the ability, nor do I think you will find a "easy" way of doing it by simply "clicking" on a box, like in Windows... I have been "monitoring" an email news group on alsa, and many questions on setting up 5.1 sound systems are frequent... It usually requires getting "alsa" working on Knoppix first, then "tinkering" with configuration files, to gain "plug-ins" - like on a patch-panel of a mixing board, re-mapping certain connectors to speakers connections, like Line-Out = Front Speakers, Line-In = Rear Speakers, and Mic-In = Center + Sub Speakers, kind of thing...

    To get alsa support sound working on a Live-CD boot of Knoppix - just add the alsa cheatcode on your boot: prompt, and it should be using ALSA instead of OSS... As for what files you have to "tinker" with, or change, you might do a Search Knoppix.net with the keyword alsa, to see previous posts on this forum of the subject, and, lastly, here is the link to getting yourself added to the ALSA email news group - if you subscribe, you can post email questions on your configuration, and get responses to them...........

    https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user

    Hope this helps, and, good luck,
    Ms. Cuddles

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    41
    I find this, but it's not free ?
    ___http://www.xmms.org/effect.php

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well it seems to be possible for free too: http://alsa.opensrc.org/faq/#FAQ028
    But don't ask me what to do with that as I only have a el cheapo stereo speaker system.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1

    Config 5.1 Surroun System

    I have Knoppix, I installed all the ALSA packages and configured them by what ALSA said, that and installing them through apt-get, asks you questions about your sound card. To the point, I'm using gamix for my ALSA mixer, I also have a 6 channel speaker system.

    How I got 5.1 working on my system, I either use Xine or Kaffeine for a mediaplayer, Using defaults in the prefferances, except in audio tab, I have it on Surround 5.1. Now on gamix I have to have volumes turn alll the way up on Master Playback, Surround Playback, Center, LFE. On the IEC958 spot I have output checked and the bar is all the way to the right. SPDIF source is on Digital, I don't have Duplicate Front checked. I do have External Amplifier checked, finally I have Audio Data Type on AC3. After gamix is configured that way I then adjust the volumes on my speakers to control rear fading and front volumes levels and over all levels.

    Well I hope this helped some people out, took me a while to figure it out myself.

Similar Threads

  1. Kde bootup slow - stuck on "initializing system config&
    By big_linux_geek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 09:08 PM
  2. Knoppix 3.8 network card config locks up system
    By rgruhn in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 08:58 PM
  3. Please Post a Simple CONFIG file for Kernel Config
    By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM
  4. Plugscript:a new and easy modular config. system f.KNOPPIX
    By holzhey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 06:15 PM
  5. No root file system (but system works)
    By freyley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 09:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless picture

NETGEAR 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch (Gs305) - Desktop Quiet Fanless

$25.99



D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord picture

D-Link DGS-1210-28P 28-Port PoE Gigabit Web Smart Switch With Cord

$49.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99