Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: [ANNOUNCE] Monitor module 0.1 for speed optimizing knoppix

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    [ANNOUNCE] Monitor module 0.1 for speed optimizing knoppix

    Hi,

    as I just remembered that all good ideas once started here in that forum, I want to keep that tradition and post it here .

    What I did was to create a monitor module to easily create those mkisofs.sort lists, even if you do not use Klaus' scripts.

    With that list, you can optimize the contents of your live CD by first usage, so that it has a better startup time.

    Its not yet perfect, but does already work and as one should release often and early, well here it is:

    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/exper...tor-0.1.tar.gz

    To use it atm do:

    - Boot Knoppix into runlevel 2,

    - Copy that files to /ramdisk

    - Symlink /KNOPPIX.build/ to /ramdisk/

    - cat /proc/kmsg > /ramdisk/accesslist.log &

    - insmod /ramdisk/monitor.o

    - init 5

    - Start all needed programs.

    - rmmod monitor # stop monitor

    - killall cat # "kill the cat"

    /KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.mksortlist2

    And voila:

    You have a /KNOPPIX.build/mkisofs.sort, which is optimized for your special live CD.

    (You'll need to remove /proc though and change /KNOPPIX to / I think)

    Enjoy it and develop it further.

    cu

    Fabian

    PS: Special thanks goes to the translucency project. Some ideas and code from them, inspired me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    140
    Can you dumb this down a little for the gringo

    - Boot Knoppix into runlevel 2

    Ok, I can do this

    -Copy that files to /ramdisk

    Ok, would I wget fttp://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/experiments/monitor/monitor-0.1.tar.gz?
    do I need to mkdir /ramsdisk? or is that the name of a directory that exists?

    - Symlink /KNOPPIX.build/ to /ramdisk/

    Would I need to untar the file at this point? tar -something monitor-0.1.tar.gz
    I think the command for symlink is ls something something fullspace dot
    but I could be wrong

    -cat /proc/kmsg > /ramdisk/accesslist.log &

    uhm, I have no idea

    - insmod /ramdisk/monitor.o

    That is the file that was untarred

    - init 5

    Ok that starts x

    - Start all needed programs.

    The script will only optimize open programs?

    - rmmod monitor # stop monitor

    I guess type it in just like that from a root shell?

    - killall cat # "kill the cat"

    fine I don't care much for cats type that into the root shell as well?

    /KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.mksortlist2

    Thats great! how do I use it to optimize my remaster?

    Fabian you have done a lot of great work. Knoppix must consume a lot of your life. Thank you

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Dublin, Ireland
    Posts
    164
    -cat /proc/kmsg > /ramdisk/accesslist.log &

    This means that the accesslist.log will contain the messages printed out by the monitor module to /proc/kmsg.

    - Start all needed programs.

    The script will only optimize open programs?

    The script will only optimise the files which are accessed while the monitor is running.

    - rmmod monitor # stop monitor

    I guess type it in just like that from a root shell?

    just type in "rmmod monitor"

    - killall cat # "kill the cat"

    fine I don't care much for cats type that into the root shell as well?

    yep, just type "killall cat" of course if you have any other background jobs running with cat they will be killed aswell! Basically this is stopping the process which was > /ramdisk/accesslist.log

    /KNOPPIX.build/Knoppix.mksortlist2

    Thats great! how do I use it to optimize my remaster?

    Well Knoppers build scripts use a sortlist to build the cloop, presumably this will generate the correct format for those scripts!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    297

    monitor 0.2

    Hi,

    monitor 0.2 is out.

    While monitor 0.1 had one major bug (relative path names made problems), monitor 0.2 monitors all file opens to create a timely optimized remaster.

    You can use the created sortlist with mkisofs -sort <filename>

    For more exact instructions see above or on debian-knoppix ML:

    http://www.linuxtag.org/wws/arc/debi.../msg00055.html

    cu

    Fabian

Similar Threads

  1. [ANNOUNCE] Remastering Knoppix - With Klaus scripts
    By Fabianx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-20-2011, 01:09 AM
  2. Saving Settings on HD + optimizing with 1G of Ram
    By dusty4funy in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-13-2005, 08:56 PM
  3. CD/DVD Drive Reading Speed vs. CPU Speed
    By migasf in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-26-2003, 07:18 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 02:57 PM
  5. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 03-20-2003, 05:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1625.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$49.99



VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack) picture

VMware vCenter Server 8 STANDARD Perpetual License Key VC-STD-C (Legacy Pack)

$1599.95



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99