Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 2 OS's?

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274

    2 OS's?

    I love Knoppix 3.4, and wish to install it on my hard drive, but I do not want to wipe out windows. How can I install it and keep Windows, and then, how may I access it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You want to do a dual boot?

    First your going to have to repartiton the drive.

    What filesystem is your windows?

    If its NTFS try your best to get all the files near the begining (defrag.)
    That way you can use Qt parted wthout to much trouble, or even better use some commerical software that can move the windows files around as it makes the linux partition (still with me?)

    Then refer here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdInstallHowTo

    on how to install.

    On the case of chooseing which one you want to boot you could use Lilo, though I don't know how to install it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Southern Maine, US
    Posts
    274
    I have no clue what you're trying to tell me, but I know my computer's got Windows 98.....

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    I have no clue what you're trying to tell me, but I know my computer's got Windows 98.....
    which means thats it probably useing fat32 (ignore that if you don't understand it) wihich linux fully supports.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11711 this might help you, the instuctions are close enough.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I believe you have a single hardisk with single partition (fat32 or 16?) which W98 resides.

    In this case you need to resize that partition first and then create a new partition from the freespace(leftover after resize).

    You need at least 3G of free space.You need to create 2 partition on this free space:
    1)Linux Swap partition (128 - 500 MB )
    2)Linux ext2/ext3 partition ( the rest of free space )

    All above can be achieve using partition manager ex: partition magic.

    After everything is done, proceed with knoppix cd hdd installation(knoppix-installer).

Similar Threads

  1. How do I get other installed OS's?
    By rrfish72 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-27-2004, 01:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Atari 800XL Home Computer. S-Video out Tested and Works picture

Atari 800XL Home Computer. S-Video out Tested and Works

$150.00



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29



Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ picture

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ

$350.00



VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold

VTG Atari 400 Home Computer System ** Sold "AS-IS" for Parts or Repair

$88.75



Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2 picture

SDrive Max Floppy Drive Emulator Atari 8-Bit 400/800/XL/XE Firmware 1.5 USB C R2

$70.00



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95