I suspect something is running /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
Can you find anything in ~/.kde/Autostart ?
When I log into root all the icons remain the way that I set them before. I don't know what is different. Any one know why my account is that way (a few icons return to the way they were before)?
I suspect something is running /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
Can you find anything in ~/.kde/Autostart ?
In root account everything stays as is. I my account only those two icons keep coming back (cdrom and cdrom1) and when I make hda1 and hda3 icon different they chage back to original.
The ugliest and only hack I found with a quick search is: chmod 000 /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons
Note that this will make it impossible to execute if you don't change back the permissions.
I checked /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig but couldn't find anything about what could be starting the script. I think you have to grep through your .files in your home directory.
Now when I try to play a dvd I get:
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
mount: /dev/sr2 is not a valid block device
How do I configure to play a dvd? I made some changes to fstab and the drive worked as a cdrom drive but would not play dvds. I changed to /dev/dvd to /dve/sr2 and made a new icon and that is what I now get. Check out changes to my fstab:
# /etc/fstab: filesystem table.
#
# filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass
/dev/hda3 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
# Took out noauto after defaults and changed user to users
/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,users,showexec,umask=022 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
#default line below - changed /dev/cdrom to /dev/sr0 and user to users and took out ro after defaults and noauto after noexec
/dev/sr0 /cdrom iso9660 defaults,users,noexec 0 0
#took out the 'mount' in the beginning of the next line and changed sr0 to hdb this was #experimental
#/dev/hdb /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
#This is what I added - mount /dev/sr0/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0
# default line for the line below - /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
#This is what I added - took out noauto after noexec
#/dev/sr1 /cdrom1 iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec 0 0 - this code worked as cdrom
#Changed in the line below dvd to sr2 and user to users and took out noauto after noexec
/dev/sr2 /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec 0 0
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX and I took ouut the ro after exec, .
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ntfs noauto,users,exec,umask=000 0 0
# Added by KNOPPIX - I took out noauto after vfat
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 vfat users,exec,umask=000 0 0
What are these lines doing?
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
Only things I get when I look in kde/autostart is :
file:/usr/share/autostart/kab2kabc.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/kde-services-knoppix.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/kdesktop.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/khotkeys.desktop
file:/usr/share/autostart/panel.desktop
Check your devices with dmesg|grep sr
The master device on your ide cable is sr0 and the slave sr1, unless you have a third drive which would then be sr2.
If you mount something at /dvd you should also check if it exists, else: mkdir /dvd
For dvd's add this to your /etc/apt/sources.list:
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
Then do:
dselect update
apt-get -s install libdvdcss2 (remove the -s if it looks ok)
AFAIK cdaudio is for some programs that look for the disc there but I don't use it since AlsaPlayer uses sr0 just fine. Besides audio cd's can't be mounted anyway.What are these lines doing?
/dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/cdrom1 /mnt/auto/cdrom1 auto users,noauto,exec,ro 0 0
The /mnt/auto/cdrom1 is for automounting but you have to check if you have the directory and create it if needed with mkdir /mnt/auto/cdrom1. That said, I don't use automounting either so I'm not sure about this.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$680.00
Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99
Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J
$40.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99