Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Problem on 32M RAM

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    5

    Problem on 32M RAM

    Hi,
    I'm trying to run Knoppix from a 32MB PC.
    It goes to the boot screen, I press enter and the screen goes blank.
    I pressed F2 and went to the cheatcodes screen, When I press enter there, it says "Ready!" and then freezes.

    Can anyone help? I'm still new to Knoppix

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: Problem on 32M RAM

    Quote Originally Posted by KeelMan
    Hi,
    I'm trying to run Knoppix from a 32MB PC.
    It goes to the boot screen, I press enter and the screen goes blank.
    I pressed F2 and went to the cheatcodes screen, When I press enter there, it says "Ready!" and then freezes.

    Can anyone help? I'm still new to Knoppix
    What cheat codes did you try using?

    Are there any other error messages you can report?

    It's hard to reply with anything specific without any more info.

    There are several things that might cause Knoppix to freeze up in the manner you describe:

    - A bad CD. Try this at boot 'knoppix testcd.' If you have a bad cd , you may need to download another cd or try reburning the image you have (possibly at a slower speed).

    - Bios Settings. I have seen a lot of posts on this board in which problems have been due to things being enabled in your bios that prove buggy to Knoppix. For example you may want to disable plug and play hardware detection.

    You may also want to try the "failsafe" boot option. This will boot with (almost) no hardware detection. If it is able to boot then you can try disabling things like usb until you find out what the problem is.

    With only 32 MB I highly suggest using some other desktop manager than KDE. Even still don't expect it to be too fast. Since you have such a small amount of memory, you will be asked if you want to create a swap partition. You should deffinitely agree to this.

    Post back with any successes/failures you have had.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    5
    Don't worry, it booted with failsafe, so there must be some sort of hardware that's preventing it to boot. I will try to figure that out later.

    But thanx anyway.

Similar Threads

  1. Problem Unique to Knoppix Later Versions!(SIS problem!)
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-15-2003, 10:19 AM
  2. Wierd Problem With USB Keyboard, Maybe Motherboard Problem
    By Triple Six in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-15-2003, 04:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1599.99



IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU picture

IBM 7915 AC1 M4 E27R704 Server Intel 2650V2 32GB RAM NO HDD w/ 2x 750w PSU

$225.00



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1) picture

IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)

$150.00



1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM picture

1 X IBM 720 POWER SERVER WITH 32 GB RAM

$344.97



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012 picture

IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012

$109.99