Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Linksys WPC55AG Wireless Card -=HowTo=-

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9

    Linksys WPC55AG Wireless Card -=HowTo=-

    Ok, heres the deal. The WEB site below says my card will work and all with knoppix but i dont understand what hes saying cause im a n00b to linux. so if anyone can walk me through how to get my wireless card to work, i would have to love you. ( or just thank you )


    http://hardware.newsforge.com/hardwa...?tid=65&tid=81

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    9
    i did it!!! w00t!! lol

    http://oreillynet.com/pub/wfg/4599

    ok go to that site for the info but here is what to do to connect to the internet with a wireless card.

    open terminal:

    type - su root
    then type - iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx
    then type - iwconfig ath0 essid "Network Name"

    that finishes setting up the card

    then type - iwconfig ath0

    this shows all your card info

    then type - pump -i ath0

    your card will then send a DHCP packet to any wireless access point near you telling it its info. after that it should connect and youll be surfing the net like I am right now.

    this was all done on a Linksys WPC55AG and good ole' knoppix.
    ( which for some reason wont boot right and other times will on my computer, lol )

    good luck everyone else hope you figure your cards out also

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1
    thanks for the tip. It's working for me on Knoppix 3.7
    But this isn't the ideal solution, because
    1. after a reboot the whole configuration get lost
    2. when I'm connecting to different AP's, I've to change all the time the config. There should be a solution to put several AP's configs.

    Isn't there are comfortable solution like on Windows XP?

    I hope someone can help me to make wireless surfing on Linux easier and more comfortable.

    thanks in advance

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    Hey guitar geek - just wanted to thank you for the instructions - I'm actually running a Netgear WG511T cardbus card on Knoppix 3.7, and your instructions worked like a charm! This is after days of trying to get Fedora to even recognize my card. Woo Hoo!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1
    This does not work for me. I have a WPC55AG card on a Dell Laptop. Mainly the pump command fails. I am at a loss, being a linux newbie. The network card is connecting to a Linksys WRT55AG router. I would prefer to use the A frequency rather than B or G. I know the router is configured correctly as 4 computers operate just fine off it. Three windows machines and an OSX iMac. I am using DHCP fed off a windows server. I know the router can do that task instead but its not set up to do so.

    So..... whats the next step? Is there a log file I can look at or something? I have been searching the web for answers with little success.

    The ath0 is not picking up an IP address but it seems to recognize the access point.


    Mahkno

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    20

    Using Wlan to configure Wireless card settings

    When I run from the Knoppix 3.7 CD, Knoppix sees my Orinoco Gold card as well as my wireless router which at present has no security code. The orinoco card wakes up, scans for networks, finds my router, and links automatically. When I installed knoppix to the hard drive, I used Wlan to set up the connection options, made some kind of mistake, and now when I boot, I get a message that the card is "Busy" and I cannot connect. Is there some kind of a Wlan Confiugration file that I can delete to get the card scanning automatically again ? How else can I reset the options ?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1
    I'm having this same problem on a Dell Inspiron 8000 running Knoppix 3.7 with a DWL-G650 on an Airport Extreme router. After I run pump -i ath0, the card's lights flash back and forth for a few seconds, and I get an Operation failed error. I'm going to keep searching, but if anyone here comes up with a solution to this problem, please post it!

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    31

    iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx

    iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx
    When I do this it says,
    Code:
    Error for wireless request "Set ENcode" (8B2A):
       SET failed on device atho0 ; no such device.



    (But I guess I'm using Paipix right now instead of Linux. Could that be the problem? [/quote]

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I just got a LinkSys WirelessG USB Card installed and, of course, the LinkSys WirelessG Router. I'm using KNOPPIX 3.9 liveCD and I tried

    Code:
    type - su root 
     then type - iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx 
     then type - iwconfig ath0 essid "Network Name"
    but I get an error about ath0 in an unknown device. What can I do about this?

    TIA,
    AJG

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I just got a LinkSys WirelessG USB Card installed and, of course, the LinkSys WirelessG Router. I'm using KNOPPIX 3.9 liveCD and I tried

    Code:
    type - su root 
    then type - iwconfig ath0 key xxxxxxxxxxx 
    then type - iwconfig ath0 essid "Network Name"
    but I get an error about ath0 is an unknown device. What can I do about this?

    Error for wireless request "Set Encode" (8B2A) :
    SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.

    Error for wireless request "Set ESSID" (8B1A) :
    SET failed on device ath0 ; No such device.

    TIA,
    AJG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Problem w/ Linksys wireless card on HP Pavilion ze5500
    By PacaveliTheDon in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2005, 12:42 AM
  2. Linksys wireless pcmcia card
    By bob58 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-16-2004, 06:40 AM
  3. Linksys WMP11 PCI Wireless-B card Problems
    By esher2292 in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 01:29 AM
  4. Linksys wireless ethernet card problem
    By Kriil in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:14 PM
  5. Linksys Wireless PCI Card and Knoppix
    By ys0304 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2004, 12:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i picture

Broadcom MegaRAID 9480-8e Fujitsu PRAID EP540e SAS RAID Card (Replac 9380-8e) 8i

$228.00



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 Raid Card 12Gbps HBA HDD Controller 9300-8i picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 Raid Card 12Gbps HBA HDD Controller 9300-8i

$16.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00