Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: .ram vid clips

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    .ram vid clips

    How do I get Knoppix to play .ram video clips. I have tried Mplayer & Kaffiene, neither seems to work.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try with apt-get install w32codecs

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    you need realplayer (or compatable). You can use klik to get it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Try with apt-get install w32codecs
    Already done that.
    I found this reference to .ram files on http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html
    Sometimes you will want to watch realplayer files that are .ram; remember that a .ram can be viewed as a simple text file with the stream location of the actual .rm is in that file. mplayer will not play the .ram but it will play the .rm stream. (Apparently there is a patch out so that mplayer will play .ram but I have never used it).
    but it's no help, I can rememeber that .ram files are text files just fine but then what do I do with it?
    Also, do I need a plugin to get streaming video to work in Konqueror? What should I use (perhaps the mozilla plugin?)
    you need realplayer (or compatable). You can use klik to get it.
    I tried to install realplayer, it wouldn't compile (but not from klik). Will klik work with a HD install?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Try with apt-get install w32codecs
    Already done that.
    I found this reference to .ram files on http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html
    Sometimes you will want to watch realplayer files that are .ram; remember that a .ram can be viewed as a simple text file with the stream location of the actual .rm is in that file. mplayer will not play the .ram but it will play the .rm stream. (Apparently there is a patch out so that mplayer will play .ram but I have never used it).
    but it's no help, I can rememeber that .ram files are text files just fine but then what do I do with it?
    Also, do I need a plugin to get streaming video to work in Konqueror? What should I use (perhaps the mozilla plugin?)
    you need realplayer (or compatable). You can use klik to get it.
    I tried to install realplayer, it wouldn't compile (but not from klik). Will klik work with a HD install?
    klik should work with a hard drive install.
    http://klik.berlios.de/

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Oips, looks like my post didn't help much

    Well, if you don't want to install realplayer I suppose you have to dig the web for the patch. Unless someone here has a location of course.

    BTW, you can apt-get realplayer from marillat, or am I wrong again.....?

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    If you don't have a lot of .rams you can download it and use it with mplayer.

    I tested with one, namely http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/dsatg2.ram
    It seems to include only this:
    markus@fujibox:~$ cat dsatg2.ram
    rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra
    Hence also the reference to a text file.

    And so this works: $ gmplayer rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra
    And this: $ gmplayer `cat dsatg2.ram`

    Now this interests me while I used linux a few years back and gave it up because of crappy multimedia support.
    It seems to have changed nowadays, ergo I'm back in linux

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Realplayer8 from real.com doesn't seem to work on my system, but the helix player does. I got mine from https://player.helixcommunity.org/ which is something of an offshoot of real.com. Download the rpm and then use alien to convert it to a debian package then you can install it using dpkg. Works very well as in inline webplayer with mozilla.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Well, here's some more that work with mplayer:
    mplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram
    gmplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram (with gui)
    mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/dsatg2.ram

    BTW, I've been at it with mplayer but just tested with xine and it plays both audio and video .ram files just fine. I just clicked on a couple with mozilla and told it to use xine.
    Or was the point to use an embedded player?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by Markus
    Well, here's some more that work with mplayer:
    mplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram
    gmplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram (with gui)
    mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/dsatg2.ram

    BTW, I've been at it with mplayer but just tested with xine and it plays both audio and video .ram files just fine. I just clicked on a couple with mozilla and told it to use xine.
    Or was the point to use an embedded player?
    Sorry for the delay...been away.

    The point is to use an embedded player, specifically so my 7 yr old granddaughter can access the vid clips on http://www.marykateandashley.com/music/ & similar sites.
    No doubt she will then come away steeped in their marketing with a thousand new 'wants' but her parents can deal with that!

    PS: also just tried .mpeg files with Kaffiene, it doesn't like them (big green blank areas instead of video) but Xine does them OK.
    This is why I was trying to use Mplayer, it is supposed to support more file formats than any other but I've had a devil of a time just getting it to work & haven't been able to get anything to play streaming video using konqueror as a browser. Had trouble getting streaming audio to work too but maybe I have that solved....Noatun seems better than Kaboodle even though KDE seems to be switching to Kaboodle.

Similar Threads

  1. XMMS - problems playing web sound clips
    By Lando in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD picture

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD

$200.00



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0

WiFi Only Samsung Galaxy Tab A9 Plus 11.0" 128GB Black SM-X210

$139.99



Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1 picture

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1

$60.00



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



Genuine Samsung K406S Black Toner Cartridge - New and Sealed Box picture

Genuine Samsung K406S Black Toner Cartridge - New and Sealed Box

$35.99