Try with apt-get install w32codecs
How do I get Knoppix to play .ram video clips. I have tried Mplayer & Kaffiene, neither seems to work.
Try with apt-get install w32codecs
you need realplayer (or compatable). You can use klik to get it.
Already done that.Originally Posted by Markus
I found this reference to .ram files on http://www.princessleia.com/MPlayer.html
but it's no help, I can rememeber that .ram files are text files just fine but then what do I do with it?Sometimes you will want to watch realplayer files that are .ram; remember that a .ram can be viewed as a simple text file with the stream location of the actual .rm is in that file. mplayer will not play the .ram but it will play the .rm stream. (Apparently there is a patch out so that mplayer will play .ram but I have never used it).
Also, do I need a plugin to get streaming video to work in Konqueror? What should I use (perhaps the mozilla plugin?)
I tried to install realplayer, it wouldn't compile (but not from klik). Will klik work with a HD install?you need realplayer (or compatable). You can use klik to get it.
klik should work with a hard drive install.Originally Posted by CrashedAgain
http://klik.berlios.de/
Oips, looks like my post didn't help much![]()
Well, if you don't want to install realplayer I suppose you have to dig the web for the patch. Unless someone here has a location of course.
BTW, you can apt-get realplayer from marillat, or am I wrong again.....?
If you don't have a lot of .rams you can download it and use it with mplayer.
I tested with one, namely http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/dsatg2.ram
It seems to include only this:
markus@fujibox:~$ cat dsatg2.ram
rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra
Hence also the reference to a text file.
And so this works: $ gmplayer rtsp://rmlivev8.bbc.net.uk/farm/*/ev7/live24/6music/live/6music_dsat_g2.ra
And this: $ gmplayer `cat dsatg2.ram`
Now this interests me while I used linux a few years back and gave it up because of crappy multimedia support.
It seems to have changed nowadays, ergo I'm back in linux![]()
Realplayer8 from real.com doesn't seem to work on my system, but the helix player does. I got mine from https://player.helixcommunity.org/ which is something of an offshoot of real.com. Download the rpm and then use alien to convert it to a debian package then you can install it using dpkg. Works very well as in inline webplayer with mozilla.
Well, here's some more that work with mplayer:
mplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram
gmplayer -playlist dsatg2.ram (with gui)
mplayer -playlist http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/ram/dsatg2.ram
BTW, I've been at it with mplayer but just tested with xine and it plays both audio and video .ram files just fine. I just clicked on a couple with mozilla and told it to use xine.
Or was the point to use an embedded player?
Sorry for the delay...been away.Originally Posted by Markus
The point is to use an embedded player, specifically so my 7 yr old granddaughter can access the vid clips on http://www.marykateandashley.com/music/ & similar sites.
No doubt she will then come away steeped in their marketing with a thousand new 'wants' but her parents can deal with that!
PS: also just tried .mpeg files with Kaffiene, it doesn't like them (big green blank areas instead of video) but Xine does them OK.
This is why I was trying to use Mplayer, it is supposed to support more file formats than any other but I've had a devil of a time just getting it to work & haven't been able to get anything to play streaming video using konqueror as a browser. Had trouble getting streaming audio to work too but maybe I have that solved....Noatun seems better than Kaboodle even though KDE seems to be switching to Kaboodle.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB BATTERY ISSUE
$474.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$189.00
NEW* AMD Athlon 4850e 4GB ATI X300 Win98 XP DOS Multiboot Retro PC w/ 50 Games
$349.00
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.20GHz Quad Core 100-000000510 8 Thread AM4
$279.99
Apple Macbook Pro 13" M1 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$464.99
Apple Macbook Pro 14" M1 Pro 8-Core 16GB 512GB - Good
$614.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9800X3D 8-Core 16-Thread AM5 Zen 5 Desktop Processor NEW
$399.00
Pair ID-COOLING A8-SP3 CPU Heatsink Coolers and AMD EPYC 7601 32 Core Processors
$290.00
Dell OptiPlex 5070 SFF i7-9700 (8-Core) 3.0GHz 16GB 256 SSD Windows 11
$250.00