Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Local Network Hostname Resolution

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5

    Local Network Hostname Resolution

    I am sorry if this has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find it. I have an installation of Knoppix 3.4 on my hard drive and I can not ping other hostnames. I can ping the static IP address for the same machine and it works fine but it can not resolve the hostname. The internet works fine, no problem there, just inside my local network. Everything in my network is static and there is no dhcp server. I know that I can type it into some file but I would prefer not to do that because if I could get it to sniff it out on its own I won't have to worry when some IP address changes. I know this can be done because I tried PClinuxOS and it was able to ping all of the hostnames without anything being hard coded in. I have had this same problem with previous installations of red hat and such but have never cared enough to get it fixed. I have tried making LISa start when the system starts but that didn't help.

    Thank you,

    Stephen

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    436
    That file that you don't want to use is /etc/hosts .
    I don't have experience in sniffing out.

    But would be interested in knowing how it works.
    Of course you may ping all 255 adresses in your local subnet (if you don't use a 65.000 range). But how to ask the machines for their names? Don't they need a server running?
    All the time?
    Just to avoid writing 10-20 Adress-name-shortname triples and copy the file to the other machines? Well - it's your net...

Similar Threads

  1. Mozilla Mail & Local Network Email
    By NeroZero in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 02:10 PM
  2. change hostname?
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
  3. Can't set hostname.
    By WimG in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-27-2003, 04:16 PM
  4. How do I change the hostname?
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM
  5. Local network not recognized
    By merlin in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-18-2003, 03:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$49.99



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K MATCHING # BOX Set Original Mac Model M0001 WORKS RARE

$6299.00



Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k picture

Apple Macintosh 128k Desktop computer. Upgraded to 512k

$300.00



1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare picture

1984 APPLE MACINTOSH 128K FIRST MAC Model M0001 PICASSO KIT Discs Harvard Rare

$1800.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW picture

Macintosh Platinum Mouse - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus Lisa IIe M0100 - NEW

$59.99



Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 picture

Apple Keyboard and Cable for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110

$129.99



Two Macintosh Platinum Mouse/Mice - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus M0100 - NEW picture

Two Macintosh Platinum Mouse/Mice - Apple 128K 512K 512Ke Mac Plus M0100 - NEW

$99.99



Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010) picture

Apple Keyboard for Macintosh 128k 512k Mac Plus RARE Vintage M0110 (010)

$149.00



Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs picture

Apple Macintosh Mac 128k - 512k Boot / Diagnostics 2 Disk Set for Classic Macs

$14.99